Calculating the Z depth of an object

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jayanthyk192, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jayanthyk192

jayanthyk192 Thread Starter Member

Hello, i needed a device that calculates X, Y and Z of an object. So, i thought of using a Wiimote(Nintendo).

Using that, i can get X and Y, but i cannot problem the "Z" of a single IR source. i found this device:

http://www.robokits.co.in/datasheets/gp2y0a02yk.pdf

It says here that we can can calculate the Z information.

The Wiimote uses built in Image processing to calculate the X and Y of the source and using 2 Wiimotes, its possible to calculate the Z.

But this device seemed to be interesting. Can anyone please tell what mechanism this uses?
  2. BillB3857

BillB3857 Senior Member

If you place two IR emitters with fixed spacing, could you use the Wiimote video? That's what Wii has in the bar that sits on top of the TV. By knowing the fixed distance, you could calculate the X-Y positions of each, calculate a midpoint between them and use it as the actual XY for you application. By measuring the calculated "SENSED" position (the further away from the source, the closer they would appear", you could use triangulation to calculate the Z position. What kind of accuracy are you needing?
  3. jayanthyk192

Well, i need to track sources that are not at fixed spaces. And i need pretty good accuracy too, that which can detect objects even a few centimeters apart.

So, i was just wondering if i can use this device.

http://www.robokits.co.in/datasheets/gp2y0a02yk.pdf

But i don't know how the device works. Any idea how it works?

Thanks.
  4. BillB3857

BillB3857 Senior Member

5. jayanthyk192

Thanks a lot BillB3857
  6. BillB3857

BillB3857 Senior Member

Google can be your friend. There are other links there. One even gives a sample program showing how to develop a look-up table for calibration, Good luck with your project!
    jayanthyk192 likes this.