calculating the thickness for different plating

ramana.madishetty

Joined Jun 11, 2014
Hi All,

My first post here. I have built many circuits and I also program PIC's. I've etched, ironed on, and milled PCB's for my projects, ETC,ETC.

And I've built many power supplies using LM78xx and LM317's including a three output unit on my bench that has separate outputs for 5vdc,12vdc and adjustable 1.2 to 20 vdc. All of these are about 1.5 amps max with heatsinks and the adjustable one has digital LED displays for volt and current.

I say all this so you guys will know I'm not a complete n00b but I have never built a supply with adjustable current output so I'll explain my application below.

I need to build a supply for an electroplating setup with the following requirements...

Voltage adjustable from ~1.2 to ~10 VDC
Current adjustable from ~0 to ~6 Amps

This will never be used for any electronics applications. I am planning to get a high current car battery charger and use the transformer and other parts of it for this PS.

I expect to heatsink and use at least one fan as well and I'll have displays for V and A of course.

So my question (finally) is, can you please give me some advice on what IC I should use for the adjustable current and/or a schematic of one ?

I apologize for being long winded on all this, if I've left any info out, let me know and thanks for any help,

Steve
How should i calculate the thickness foe different plating.Please can you suggest me for the range of 1mA to 100mA for electroplating.

Thanks in andvance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This is a summary I made for myself. You can modify it for 2 ounce per square foot circuit board or different amounts of current.

ps, A lot of circuit board manufacturers can not make copper traces less than .01 inch wide.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Please clarify: Do you want to know how to determine the thickness of an electroplating you have applied, or do you want to know what thickness of copper to use for carrying a specific current?

John

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Please clarify: Do you want to know how to determine the thickness of an electroplating you have applied, or do you want to know what thickness of copper to use for carrying a specific current?

John
Or, do you need to know how much current and time it takes to deposit a certain thickness of copper?