Calculating mV/g from New Sensor

RoyalDeviLz

Joined Jun 24, 2014
I'm currently developing a new sensor device, I manage to perform the reading of it using arduino. I wanted to calculate the sensitivity of it. Many of the specs out there already listed the standard sensitivity rate in mV/g. But I never found any theory or concept on how to calculate a mV/g.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You're going to have to tell more than that! All I see is millivolts per gram, and I'm not sure that is right.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Seems to me if you are 'developing' a new sensor device you need to collect some data on its input vs output. Since you are talking sensitivity in mV/g (milliVolts per gram) I will assume you are inputing known values of grams and the sensor is outputting milliVolts that you can measure. You should have a set of standard weights with appropriate precision and you should also need a voltmeter with a range and precision likewise appropriate to your needs. The data you collect can then be plotted and the slope of the line plotted will be a sensitivity curve that may or may not be linear.

Since most of what I just said is based upon guessing what you really want/mean, I agree with #12's comment "You're going to have to tell more than that!"

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Not sure if you missed it or you are trying to make a point :) so ...
I think he means millivolt per gravitational unit (9.81 ms^2) .

But yeah , what type of sensor? An accelerometer or some sort of newton meter?
If it is an accelerometer then you should be reading 9.81 in the Z axis while the sensor is stationary due to gravity . You can start from there.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's a handy table:

upload_2014-9-30_17-29-31.png

Numerous sources will show you how to calculate it yourself. Basically, you start with a level sensor, read its mV output. Then tilt it by some know amount and read the mV again. From the known tilt, calculated change in g, and change in output (mV), you can easily calculate mV/g.

John

Attachments