calculate MFCC

MFC++

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Hi,
I'm new to audio processing, so I'm hoping someone can help guide me. I'm using C# with Fmod. I'd like to find the MFCC of an MP3 file. How would I go about doing this? Here's what I got from Wikipedia, and my psuedocode for it:
1) Take the Fourier transform of (a windowed excerpt of) a signal.
Code:
I use getSpectrum with the FMOD_DSP_FFT_WINDOW_TRIANGLE parameter

2)Map the powers of the spectrum obtained above onto the mel scale, using triangular overlapping windows.

I go through the spectrum array and use this equation on each value:
Code:
mel = 1127.01048log e (1+f/700)

Take the logs of the powers at each of the mel frequencies.
I then go through the new mel-array and take the log of each :
Code:
mLog = (Math.log(melArray))

Take the discrete cosine transform of the list of mel log powers, as if it were a signal. (Then find amplitude of DCT result)
I'm not sure what I do here. How do I calculate the DCT?

Thanks for any help. If you know any source code for the DCT (pref. .NET/Java), it would be much appreciated.

MFC++

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Hi,
Just a follow up question. Does anyone know of any tools which could do the above for me? I just need to find the MFCCs of an MP3 file. It doesn't have to be open source program.
Thanks

MFC++

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Hi thatoneguy
Thanks for the reply. I can encode/decode MP3 files, but I have around 1000 sample MP3's to test, and converting them to WAV would take quite a while, as well as taking up hard drive space (which is limited for me as I'm on a network machine). Unless I'm mistaken, I can't use LAME to find MFCCs?

MFC++

Joined Apr 4, 2009
Ok, I've started to use Matlab's Voicebox toolkit. I use the melcepst.m function, which retrieves two columns (stereo) of MFCCs. However, I need it to output 13 coefficients instead of the long list it comes up with. I must be missing something in order to get 13 coefficients (even though I've specified it in the parameters). Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I mentioned LAME as you were looking in the source code. I haven't dug into it deeply, but there are seveal functions in code commented out for future releases once the bugs are fixed.

One section might have a great example of accomplishing your tras. The best manual I've ever found for a program, manual, orOS is the source code. :)