Caffeine can boost your information-processing skills

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It can also impair them. Being a drug you will get highs or lows depending when you took the drug. People don't realise how impaired they were UNTIL they got that caffeine intake.

I recently took the time to get totally off caffeine and it took about 6 weeks to really "wake up" and get my old fast mental functioning back. The first two weeks was like walking around half asleep. Nasty.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You reformed addict you. :D
Well I didn't have to go to Rehab... But it sure felt like it. ;)

Funny enough it used to take me two hours + caffeine to really wake up in the morning, now I just get out of bed and I'm alert! Reminds me of when I was "young and fit" (and of course in those days didn't drink much caffeine, and never in the morning).

Makes me wonder between caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes etc how much of people "feeling old" comes down to substance use choices, and how much actually is because of age?

tinamishra

Joined Dec 1, 2012
Caffeinated beverages could be a nasty, white crystalline organic compound organic compound that functions as a catalyst medication. Caffeinated beverages is found in several amounts within the flower seeds, results in, and recent fruit of some vegetation, wherever it functions as a natural thanks to kill pests that paralyzes and destroys sure bugs providing on the vegetation. it's most typically absorbed by individuals in infusions created from the seeds of the low flower and also the leads to of the tea ligneous plant, in addition as from varied foods and beverages containing merchandise ensuing from the kola nut. alternative resources embrace yerba maté, guarana fruits, guayusa, and also the yaupon mum.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I must say, that study does in no way represent my own reaction to caffeine. I cannot focus worth a darn once I've had a heaping dose of caffeine. I seems to create a wall between my senses and my processes, which is frustrating, and said frustration aggravates my elevated irritability, which can cause me to be a very sour and short tempered person. Sometimes have rage issues if I ingest too much. I used to take caffeine pills when I was in Nuke school to stay awake through 16 hour classroom days. It didn't help; I still fell asleep, even while standing up at the back of the class - probably due to the caffeine undermining the quality of my sleep at night. In retrospect, I think it totally destroyed my ability to understand and absorb the information, and is probably the main contributing factor to my failure.

I personally would not recommend anybody take caffeine pills in hopes of being more alert or more able able to perform well in an academic setting.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I saw on TV a couple of days ago the students are now taking hits of ADD medicines, ground up and snorted(!) before exams.

Personally I think it's mostly placebo effect, at least it might give them some confidence.

If you don't know the answers or the process needed to work out the answers I can't see a chemical making that much difference.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
Several years ago I talked to a older woman in a hospital.
She said the doctors couldn't find out why she couldn't sleep well at night.
I asked her how much coffee she drank.
She mentioned that she drank it all day.

I wonder if the doctors were looking at the wrong cause of her sleepless behavior?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Several years ago I talked to a older woman in a hospital.
She said the doctors couldn't find out why she couldn't sleep well at night.
I asked her how much coffee she drank.
She mentioned that she drank it all day.

I wonder if the doctors were looking at the wrong cause of her sleepless behavior?
They probably didn't give two sharts what was actually wrong with her, but I bet they had at least a dozen prescriptions standing by, ready to try one at a time until they found one to get her sleeping again.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
They probably didn't give two sharts what was actually wrong with her, but I bet they had at least a dozen prescriptions standing by, ready to try one at a time until they found one to get her sleeping again.
They say doctors are practicing medicine.
The key word here is "practicing "

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
So I should quit coffee?

In the weekdays I usually drinks 7-8 cups. In the weekends, when I get up at around 06:00 and are sitting at the computer, I usually drink 1l within a few hours. I seldom drinks coffee after 18:00 hrs. Then I don't sleep.

Has it improved my ability to get new knowledge? Don't know, but it probably has.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Don't quit doing what works for you, unless you suspect it may cause you health problems. My warning wasn't about quitting coffee, it was about seeking out mass amounts of caffeine in hopes that it will enhance your mind. It won't. Or, at least it doesn't for me.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I used to drink coffee morning, noon and night. But it began to mess with my stomach, so I cut down to two cups first thing in the morning, and then maybe a Starbuck's after lunch. It's a miracle beverage, really. Nothing, but nothing happens without my morning caffeine.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
About 40 years ago I was rebuilding a house at nights and working days. I drank about 6+ cans of beer each night and a case on weekend days. My wife accused me of being a drunk, so I swore off beer and drank only cola. Pretty soon I was convinced that she was correct because I couldn't sleep, had the shakes, and had constant headaches---we thought that this condition resulted from stopping drinking alcohol, but the condition wouldn't go away. One night I relapsed back to drinking beer, and I slept like a log that night, no shakes the next day, and no headache. When I asked a doctor why this happened he told me I was ODing on caffeine so I gave it up. Quit all caffeine products and felt much better. Gave up beer and had another improvement. Recentlt gave up overeating and got another improvements. After all these improvements life is not so much fun anymore.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My grandfather, who lived to a really ripe old age, would say moderation in all things. Moderation in women, moderation in drinking.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
2 cups a day, I used to drink it all day. I quit for 4 months and my father said you know a couple of isn't bad, in the morning they say it's actually good for you and can help stave off Alzheimer's.

I thought ok, maybe just one cup. After not drinking it for so long, it was a rush:)

Coffee good when needed, in moderation as "Bill Said"