Cadence Virtuoso: How to get the Common Mode Gain of a Basic Differential Amplifier

HunterDX77M

Joined Sep 28, 2011
This is really asking for help on how to use a piece of CAD software, but I am posting here since it is technically for a homework assignment.

I have a question about how to use Cadence Virtuoso. I've never used it prior to yesterday, but I'm required to use it for an assignment and my instructors haven't given the class any training on the software.

I have to simulate the behavior and characteristics of the differential amplifier pictured below. The upper half is the differential amplifier, while the lower half is a current mirror. Where V_DD = 1.8V, R_D = 2.5 kOhms, I_REF = 100 uA, Q1 and Q2's W/L = 5um/0.18um, Q3 and Q4's W/L = 10um/0.5um.

After Googling around and watching some YouTube videos I've figured out how to get the DC currents and voltages for a common mode voltage of 1 V. I've also indirectly figured out how to calculate the small signal differential gain from toying around a bit. The results matched my hand calculations, so I figured they must be correct.

The part I am now stumped on is this: When the resistors are mismatched by 1%, I have to calculate the common mode gain. This is fairly easy on paper, as we covered this case in class, but I have no idea how to simulate this in the software.

Online searches haven't really turned up anything and there are literally hundreds of options in the Analog Design Environment (ADE) to practically try everything.

My circuit schematic looks like the following in Virtuoso:

Last edited: