Cadence Allegro 16-17: Windows & Linux version diferences. Wine compatibility

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Circuiteromalaguito, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Circuiteromalaguito

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Hello.

These days I'm forced to use Cadence Allegro at my Vocational School. I'm preparing my systems and received the software from my study center, but I have some donuts:

• Anyone tried Cadence Allegro for both Windows and Linux? How's the experience?
      • I did read some parts not work. like certain simulation aspects. Is is true in 2016 or that got solved?
      • I see they used infamous MinWin to port it. They would have used Winelib instead, but okay.
    • How does the Windows version works under Linux?
      • I'm installing Linux now, but got distracted and collected some information in order to do things properly.
      • I really HATE Windows. I don't like how it works and how delicate is it.

http://www.edaboard.com/thread233306.html

http://www.edaboard.com/thread226646.html
    My systems:
    Core i7 laptop 8GB RAM and GTX860M (thanks, scholarship one year later).
    Oldie Opteron 2GB ram. Who cares, this thing can't with most of that software.
    Maybe in the future: A new desktop.

Thanks in advance!

2. ronnietucker

Dec 31, 2015
  3. Circuiteromalaguito

Apr 24, 2015

Sorry, but that's the free viewer. It's not about the full software.

I already looked at winedb, but the software and reviews are often not enough updated and not exhaustive testing is done most of the time :(

Orcad 16.x under Wine 1.6

I also found this Cadence' supported platforms matrix (pdf attached too) but there's no indication about the support degree on non-Windows platforms.

It seems funny the most updated source about wine compatibility is in Chinese

Thanks for looking at it, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  4. mvaseem

Jan 31, 2014
    One thing to mention - Are you looking for PCB-Board schematic to layout flow only or you intend to do some Spice simulation (using Pspice) ?
    As far as I know, Pspice is not supported on Linux. So for simulation only windows option is there.
    Rest all works pretty well on Linux - 16.6 is fine.

5. Circuiteromalaguito

Apr 24, 2015
    Do you mean even 16.6 and 17 "native" ports in their latest versions lack PSice? What shitty port have they done? WOW!!!

I need everything. As a minimum, 100% PSice compatibility.

6. mvaseem

Jan 31, 2014
    Definitely Pspice is not available on Linux in latest version as well.
    I think then Windows is the only option.