Cad question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gibson486, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    I am using kiCAD. I did an ERC check. The issue is that it does not like my GND pins on my chip. I set them as electrical type "Power Out". I am guessing this is wrong? What do I set them as?

Also, I am having trouble understanding the power flags. How is this different than just setting a local net name? Do power flags tell Kicad that each page is it's own "separate" mini circuit?

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I've never been a big fan of pin types in the ERC. I don't see how it helps in but the simplest situations while taking lots of attention. Anyway...

On the ERC window (hit the bug!) there is a tab for options that show what types of pin connections class as good, warning, or error. You can change these at will or snap em back with the reset button.

The ground sym is defined as "power in" and one "power in" can connect to another, so you could try that. I tend to assign pins as "passive" as the ERC lets that connect to most anything.

I've never used a power flag but it seems to be a work-around to define a net as having a power source when none is apparent from the pin types connected to it.

3. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks, that fixed that issue. I guess they call gnd Power in since on lots of circuits your negative rail could be a negative voltage a opposed to ground. I was calling it power out the whole time.