Cable Concentricity Measurement

M.Zeeshan(Uition)

Joined Apr 13, 2013
Hi All,

Hope you all are in good health.

I am working on a project to find concentricity between conductor and insulation of a wire without make any physical contact.
or
Conductor position inside the insulated wire.

Plz keep in mind conductor shouldn't be a part of any circuitry and measurement should be online.
And for this i am looking for system or sensors that can help me in my project.

Waiting for soonest reply

Best regards,

Muhammad Zeeshan

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I was thinking, capacitance to a water bath on a small segment of the cable, but the length of the cable would quickly make errors that are impossible to correct.

I think this is not a beginners project.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I just noticed you probably mean a bare wire inside insulation, not a shileded cable as I imagined. Then you might be able to use ultrasound or capacitive measurement, but the capacitive will interfere with potential of the wire to some degree - is this measurement going to be done on a live circuit, or just a part of a production line?

How about using that kind of ultrasonic meter that is used to check the thickness of enamel on painted cary body parts? That should get you somewhere.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
When I worked at Delphi they made all kinds of wire. From copper to spark plug wire. They used laser/optical sensors to measure the insulation to core centering. And also the diameter of the insulation. All of this at a speed of several feet/second.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
A capacitive sensing should work well, I would use a plate on one side of the cable (testing thickness of insulation on that side) and the other cap plate would have to be something that contacts all sides of the cable like a ring or tube.

If you repeat that whole assembly 4 times over (with enough distance between them) you have 4 sensors that can individually sense the insulation thickness on all 4 sides of the cable as the cable is drawn through it.