C Compiler!

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Eric007, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Eric007

Thread Starter Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hi All!

I need a C Compiler for Windows 7 32 bit! I am currently using Visual Studio 2010...it works Ok but creates several other files...Kind of annoying!

You can provide links if any...

Thanks!

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    What "several other files" is it creating that you do not want?

3. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Well maybe it is the way it supposed to be but its kind of annoying tyo me!
    lots of other files and folders...

4. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Stop complaining and tell us:

What "several other files" is it creating that you do not want?

Did you ever think maybe all compilers create those files or if there is a way to turn them off?

5. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    :D:D I like that!

Ok! I ll tell in the next post!

Well I am not to sure but I believe there might be some compilers out there that just do the job without too much bah bah bah...

I am playing a bit with *C* but not writing programs for microcontrollers...
    Assembler is my favorite when it comes to MCU...:)

Thanks!

6. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    My favorite C compiler for Windows for just testing out algorithms is Borland Turbo C.

Similarly, Borland Turbo Pascal 1.0 was one of the neatest compilers that ran totally resident in memory.

7. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Every compiler I know of uses the exact amount of "bah bah bah" required for the task at hand.

Assemblers also create several files as they go about their business.

8. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Yes you are right! So I guess I should not complain!:)

9. Eric007

Aug 5, 2011
    Would you mind providing a link so I can download!?

Thanks!

10. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Download what? You already have a compiler. Ernie was just using a general term saying all compilers do this. So it does not matter which one you use. Some compilers might create a few more files others less. It depends. Who really cares how many files a compiler creates with such large disk space today?

You still have not told us what files you do not want to see.

Eric007 likes this.
  11. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    As others say, all compilers create intermediate files during the process of compilation. Most of them probably have options to delete these after it is done, or I think they can be deleted by the makefile, if you use make to compile your projects.

Eric007 likes this.
  12. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    One of the things I really liked about Borland Turbo C (haven't used it since release 5, I think -- say a hundred moons ago) was that if all of your source code could be gotten at via a single file (plus any files it #include'd), you didn't have to create a project -- you could simply open the file, compile it, and run it. That was very handy when I was teaching C programming with a couple hundred students. I could have them e-mail me their files (using a strict naming convention), have a simple plugin for Outlook Express to extract the attached files into a single directory, and then go through and open their source code file, look it over, compile and run it, and assign my grades in a pretty efficient manner. Since I was requiring that their code be ANSI compliant, they could use whatever environment they wanted (with the stated proviso that it would be graded by compiling it and running it under TurboC and that's what would count).

13. KrisBlueNZ

Oct 17, 2012
  14. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I use GCC from the cygwin bundle, but you need to pack the cygwin dll with your program if you want to distribute it.

15. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    The OP has yet to define what "several other files"files the OP does not want. All the compilers mentioned create files in addition to the EXE. Until the OP defines "several other files" recommendations for other compilers are pointless as they most likely do not meet the OPs requirements.

16. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    That's the one I use any time I'm forced to write code for a PC. I'm really a hardware guy, though, and I feel out of my element programming the computer. One thing I greatly appreciate about the LCC compiler is that it comes with a Wizard that sets up the skeleton of a program for you with essentially no work--maybe every compiler does this, but it's the only one I know. A C program for Windows comes with a fantastic amount of rigmarole just to get to "Hello world" but it's tolerable if I don't have to write it myself.

My regret is that plain old C for the PC is pretty much obsolete: now it's C# or C++, and I've never got around to learning those. But my software needs are pretty undemanding, and so far LCC is doing what I need.

If you want to write C for a PC, no matter which compiler you have, obtain a copy of Charles Petzold's Programming Windows. It's a great explanation of why things work the way they do.

17. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Dev-C++ is pretty tame in terms of generated files. You have to create a project to tell it what source code files to use (plus any non-default settings, of course), so it creates a .dev project file. It also creates an .o object file and a Makefile.win (I'm using Win7). Other than that, the only thing that sticks around is the .exe executable file. It's very possible that you can tell it to automatically erase the object and make files, but these tend to be small -- the object file tends to be about the same size as the source code file and the make file is tiny, as is the project file.

My biggest complaint about DevCpp is that the warning and error messages it produces are pretty **** poor. I usually use Visual Studio Express and, overall, I'm pretty happy with it. But I only do pretty vanilla C programs -- lots of number crunching but no GUIs or web interfaces or anything fancy. The warning and error messages tend to be very rich and informative. Fortunately, I am a sufficiently accomplished C programmer that just knowing what line the compiler first thought it detected an error on is usually enough for me to find the error fairly quickly, but I were a new programmer (or new to C), it could be a very significant shortcoming.

18. cheshmayebaruni

Dec 28, 2012
    HI
    You can use "Codvision" & "Ardino"

19. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Did you mean: "Codevision" & "Arduino"?

20. cheshmayebaruni

Dec 28, 2012
    YES!! Mr kubeek