C and Software development..??

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by dogar sahab, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dogar sahab

Thread Starter Active Member

Mar 15, 2008
    I want to have a good book on software development in C....
    I have found many books in C++ but not in C....
    So what book do u recommend to build any software in C...????

2. veritas

Feb 7, 2008
    I used "A Book on C" as my reference when taking classes in college, so I guess I would recommend that one. It's more of a reference book than a "software development" book though.

Really the only difference between them is that you're stuck with structures in C instead of being able to use classes. A C++ development aid should suit you well for coding in C.

3. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    For software development, I'd suggest
    "Writing Solid Code" by Steve Maguire, ISBN 1-55615-551-4
    "Code Complete" by Steve McConnell, ISBN 1-55615-484-4
    "The Practice of Programming" by Kernighan and Pike, ISBN 0-201-61586-X

--Rich

4. dogar sahab

Mar 15, 2008
    ok..What do u think the best programming language for Software..
    I find very very difficult in making software interface in C..
    The code becomes so weird...!!

5. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    I don't imagine that there is a lot of user interface coding that's done in straight C or even C++. I would guess that most is done in Visual Basic or C# or Borland's Delphi. Just a guess, though.

6. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    It really depends on what you are trying to do. My "interfaces" tend to be the command line prompt! If I wanted to try something fancier, I look to Liberty BASIC with the Liberty BASIC Workshop. www.libertybasic.com/

--Rich

7. mad12

Oct 9, 2008
    It might be a little uglier to use, but I have been told that C is usually one of the fastest languages to use. Especially when compared to Java. I have done both in college and I agree that C is a bit weird, but when implemented correctly is becomes pretty efficient.

8. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  9. dogar sahab

Mar 15, 2008
    C++ is a greatly improved version..I guess working with only C becomes terrible!!!

10. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  11. Mark44

Nov 26, 2007
    C++ certainly has more capabilities than C, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the "C becomes terrible."

In certain cases programmers choose to write code in C rather than in C++ because the resulting object code is smaller and can offer fewer surprises (such as not copy-constructing slews of temporary objects). This sort of thing is important to folks writing device drivers and operating system kernels, among other things.