bypassing internet from vista laptop to xp dekstop with a crossover cable

zimbarak

Joined Feb 8, 2009
hello all ,

i have my laptop which is connected wirelessly to the internet throw a wireless adsl router ,this laptop is unning on win vista o/s ,
i have another desktop pc running on xp o/s ,what i want to do is bypassing internet from my vista lap to my xp desk throw a crossover cable
ive tried several method but it didnt work,
ive assigned ip's on both computers and i have setup both pc's to hold the same workgroup,files and folder sharing have worked but internet didnt work ,i also turned on network discovery and files sharing on vista

i would appreciate any help !

thnk you

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I spent several fruitless hours trying the same thing and got nowhere. In the end I upgraded from Vista to XP to solve the problem.
Some people would say that was a downgrade but I disagree.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I agree with the upgrade.

I remember having the same trouble. So, statistically, there should be thousands of people who have this problem. If its already fixed (XP) break it (vista). ;)

zimbarak

Joined Feb 8, 2009
Thnks for the reply to all of you guys ,
if we back now to our subject ,my latop is taking internet from a wireless adsl router
so is it possible to bypass internet from this wireless NIC by creating an ics
and connect the xp desktop via a crossover cable ? did anyone tried this method before?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Tried it with a wired ADSL modem into the Vista box and a switch instead of a crossover cable but the principal is the same. I tried all manner of settings and searched the web, microsoft forums, etc. Static IP adresses, dynamic, turning firewalls off, everything I could think of.
If you find a way I would be curious to know.
Can you get a wireless card or USB stick for the XP machine?

TheDeLay

Joined May 24, 2010
Once you have the computers "networked" with a cross-over cable (so they can ping each other), you have most of the hard work done...congratulations & good job.

The easiest next step, is to download a proxy server to run (on the workstation with the internet connection). There are several free options out there (as well as a "portable" version or two that don't require an install). A a quick search looking for a free proxy server should point you in the right direction.

You can get this working without the need for software. Enabling "IP Address Forwarding" and turning off the firewall on the system with the internet connection are pre-requisites.

I hope this helps & good luck.