Byopc

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I've made the decision to replace my workhorse Dell Dimension 8100 with a mid-level build your own PC. I'm stuck on the case.

My choice is narrowed down to the Antec 300 or the CoolerMaster Centurion 590.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about either? Both have good reviews. One reviewer knocked the QC on the CoolerMaster. But for the Antec, you have to buy an adapter to install and accessible 3-1/2" drive/cardreader.

Thanks. John

Natakel

Joined Oct 11, 2008
I've made the decision to replace my workhorse Dell Dimension 8100 with a mid-level build your own PC. I'm stuck on the case.

My choice is narrowed down to the Antec 300 or the CoolerMaster Centurion 590.

Does anyone have any experience with or opinions about either? Both have good reviews. One reviewer knocked the QC on the CoolerMaster. But for the Antec, you have to buy an adapter to install and accessible 3-1/2" drive/cardreader.

Thanks. John
Buddy of mine has the Antec 300 - he likes it. It has plenty of 120MM fan spaces if I recall correctly - he overclocks so that was an issue for him. Power supply mounted in the bottom.

I guess I've always been indifferent to cases by and large. As long as they have the space for the hardware I want to install the brand or color does not matter very much. If the case in question doesn't come with enough fan ports, then I just mod it where I want to install another fan. I recently purchased this case: http://www.directron.com/enlightcsbg.html and found it to be very high quality in construction, and only $10.00! Shipping added a bit, but still was a very good deal for a case; the USB ports are situated oddly, and there are no audio ports - but it was perfect for my build as manufactured.

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That's a nice looking case at any price. I wanted to avoid the full gamer cases and cases with lots of graphics and lights.

I was leaning toward the Antec 300, then read about some space problems with larger video cards. The CoolerMaster seemed overdone for ventilation holes.

Ended up with a LianLi PC7F in black. It's nice looking and has a little more space. I wish LianLi had used threaded inserts, instead of just threading the aluminum, for screws that get used frequently, like for the case cover. They are easily fixed, if they strip. I tend to keep things a long time, so I wanted something that didn't make me cringe everytime I saw it for the next 10 years. John