Buzzer vodoo

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Post 7 or post 15?
Post 15, leaving the triggering cap's polarity as is shown in the drawing.

EDIT: You may also use post 7 circuit on the right, which is configured so as to better protect and stabilize the 555, but post 15 should work fine too. IF your circuit ever fails (I doubt it) and if you have to rebuild it from scratch, then you may use post 7 instead.

Last edited:

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
post 15's configuration works on breadboard as suggested, now to the veroboard, I have the cap as in the drawing of 15! so all I have to do is connect R2 to positive end, and not the negative end as it is now. thanks, now makes sense about the floating cap, onwards to building it (the power is back on)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
post 15's configuration works on breadboard as suggested, now to the veroboard, I have the cap as in the drawing of 15! so all I have to do is connect R2 to positive end, and not the negative end as it is now. thanks, now makes sense about the floating cap, onwards to building it (the power is back on)
Good to hear.... now push the "like" button... ha ha ha... :D

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
I did ;-) hahaha; now the wait for the first false trigger... or never hopefully
I did notice however that the switch doesn't need to close, anything conducting touch ground and it triggers. Is there any way around that? Or will post 7 fix that? No false triggers yet though.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Something to try. As drawn in post #15 I don't think it is correct. When the switch is open you have VCC on the switch. When the switch closes the junction of the switch and cap get pulled to ground and remain there. That isn't what you want. The cap can be a .1uF non polarized cap. R2 can be a 10K resistor. You need the cap and R2 to form a differentiator so all you get on pin 2 off the 555 is a negative spike to trigger the 555 and return high.

I believe what you want is for VCC through R2 to pin 2 of the 555. One side of the cap to R2 and pin 2 junction. Your switch to ground to the other side of the cap. When the gate opens and the switch closes all you will get on the 555 trigger pin is a negative spike to trigger the 555. If that is not what you ended up with I suggest you give it a try as what I see back in post #15 I don't believe is what you want. I can do a drawing and run a sim if you would like.

Ron

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
Something to try. As drawn in post #15 I don't think it is correct. When the switch is open you have VCC on the switch. When the switch closes the junction of the switch and cap get pulled to ground and remain there. That isn't what you want. The cap can be a .1uF non polarized cap. R2 can be a 10K resistor. You need the cap and R2 to form a differentiator so all you get on pin 2 off the 555 is a negative spike to trigger the 555 and return high.

I believe what you want is for VCC through R2 to pin 2 of the 555. One side of the cap to R2 and pin 2 junction. Your switch to ground to the other side of the cap. When the gate opens and the switch closes all you will get on the 555 trigger pin is a negative spike to trigger the 555. If that is not what you ended up with I suggest you give it a try as what I see back in post #15 I don't believe is what you want. I can do a drawing and run a sim if you would like.

Ron
I'm not sure I follow, I need a cap to stop the never ending buzz of a continuously closed circuit, just 6 seconds of buzz and then the gate can stay open for as long as it likes, keeping the switch closed. I use a normally closed reed with an exceptionally strong magnet to keep it open when the gate is closed, I rocked the gate vigorously and no false trigger. And because it may pose a problem in rare cases, why does anything conducting that touch ground trigger the buzzer?

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014

Ron
if your suggestion still gives me a static duration of buzzing then a drawing please, maybe I'll see it then, I'm very interested!

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
Are you calling him or should I?

Lets state what we have
1 555 circuit that produces 7s worth of buzzing on reed closing when gate opens, and at closing because of switch bounce (which doesn't matter)
circuit is unstable and produces false triggers
any conducting material touch ground, we get a trigger
as far as I can see, we never have floating ends at all of the capacitors

How can it be so difficult to make a simple stable gate buzzer?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Are you calling him or should I?

Lets state what we have
1 555 circuit that produces 7s worth of buzzing on reed closing when gate opens, and at closing because of switch bounce (which doesn't matter)
circuit is unstable and produces false triggers
any conducting material touch ground, we get a trigger
as far as I can see, we never have floating ends at all of the capacitors
Question, what battery are you using on the circuit?

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
A 12v switching PSU, cheapie got it for R30 (R22 for 2l of milk R-South Africa RAND) If you think it's the PSU, then I can use a 9v PP3 see if that makes a difference, or maybe I should replace the 22uF with 1000uF, if it's the psu giving problems. I'm guessing that you're suggesting that my power supply's ripple could cause these intermittent faults?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A 12v switching PSU, cheapie got it for R30 (R22 for 2l of milk R-South Africa RAND) If you think it's the PSU, then I can use a 9v PP3 see if that makes a difference, or maybe I should replace the 22uF with 1000uF, if it's the psu giving problems. I'm guessing that you're suggesting that my power supply's ripple could cause these intermittent faults?
That's one possibility. To test it, you can replace the PSU with a 9V battery, see what happens. On the other hand, you could tie the ground of your circuit to the gate (it's a metal gate, right?) again, see what happens...

Chillum

Joined Nov 13, 2014
still have 30mins left before bed, wanna know what MaxHeadRoom says

NOW it's bedtime, will continue tomorrow, thanks for all your effort!

Last edited: