buzzer motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianllama150

Joined Nov 6, 2008
MODERATOR please delete this post. Wrong title entered, couldn't edit title so I recreated the thread.

Hello

I'd like to make a piece of wall art involving lasers and smoke.

To begin, take a poster-sized glass enclosure and put it on the wall. It would probably come off the wall about 2 inches, so we'll say a 36x24x2 glass enclosure. Next, pump in some smoke via tube and fog machine.

Below the case of smoke, also on the wall, is a 50mw green laser in a fixed position, pointing down at a small mirror (say 3" x 1"). This mirror will reflect the laser beam up (parallel to the wall) into the glass enclosure. In order to achieve the desired effect, the mirror will have to be motorized somehow to rock back and forth very quickly to illuminate a cross-section of the smoke.

Click here if you'd like to see a version of the effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj44Y17EdF4

Here is a simple picture of the setup:

So how should I power that small mirror? Or is there a better way of doing this? I have limited knowledge of DC motors, but I do know that there would have to be some tricky mechanics to making it rock something back and forth, instead of in a circle. Someone mentioned that I should research how buzzers work (electromagnets and such), but I'm hoping someone here could get me started on the right track.

I really want to get this working! Please help!
THANKS!

Last edited:

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
How fast is verry quickley? Timing motors come in many output shaft speeds[ likke microwav turntable ]. With short crank arm on mirror, 1/2 in, & shorter arm on motor, with long connecting rod , mirror will rock back & forth. Glue a short piece of brss or plastic tubing to center back of mirror, attach to wall with nail or screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.