Buying home made device

uceesdp

Joined Aug 4, 2010
Hi everyone,

Would anyone purchase any pre-made circuits like a timer circuit, line follower robot circuit, sensor circuit etc. Circuits that are simple. For example, if someone were to build a ordinary timer circuit in which you can vary the clock and sell it. would anyone buy it rather than buying those electronic project kits where the person who buys it actually builds it?

Can people add their view about this question please.

thanks

Steve

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I wouldn't.

I would much rather build.

But I am sure if they were standard school-type projects, people would buy them to turn in as their own.

I dont see anyone buying a home-made 555/relay timer for plant lights that might burn their home down.

Now a days, these products are so cheap to buy, and they come from a company you can sue if your house burns down.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
There about 2 billion people in the world with internet access. If you sold your homemade gadgets to 0.1% of them, that would be 2 million gadgets sold. If you made $1 profit each, you'd have a cool 2 million bucks.
Many, many successful entrepreneurs started out selling homemade gadgets. My dad did.

uceesdp

Joined Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the advice because, i'm thinking of building simply circuits at low cost and selling to many consumers because nowadays people are getting into electronic gadgets.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
Total crapshoot. If you look around the internet there are kits offered to build almost anything, not only on their own websites but also on eBay and about everywhere else.

You would stand the best chance by building the most professional website you could and that means all the extra code that helps to get it on the search engines faster and in the right searches.

It will also take a lot of time - sometimes many, many months - until they pick start to pick up on it and even then you'll start out very low in the search order. Remember that the larger &/or more financed companies pay to get the better search spots and advertise in other places and manners as well.

You shouldn't even begin to start until you've got a couple of pages worth of projects or at least a few very specialized ones.

As with anything having to do with sales you've got to convince the customer that you have the best product and you've also got to convince them you're the best place to buy it from.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It actually gets worse, if you have a successful part expect to see knockoffs from (where else?) China, complete with your PCB duplicated.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I'd recommend a specialty market. Your favourite hobby is a good place to start as you may have some contacts that can help you develop or evaluate your product.

The last couple of 'mini' boards I've purchased came direct from Tiawan, in a couple of days with no more shipping charges then would have come from Toronto. You couldn't beat that without an extensive infrastructure.