Buy or Build an AC EMI Filter.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cjdelphi, Jan 19, 2010.

1. cjdelphi

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    By the sounds of things, my inverter has absolutely nothing in the way of a filter, the 240v exiting is very noisy causes lots of speaker buzzing (and yeah it's a true sine wave) while the UPS which runs on a modified sine, has absolutely no interference at all...

So do I go for my own option, wind a toroid and make an inductor / choke, couple of big caps to filter the voltage, I have no idea what options to look at...

What would you decide? (P.S not replied to the other threads yet, but thanks if you're one of them who helped, good info, now i need to make a filter)

12vd > 350 watt true sine > 240ac (Unfiltered) need to filter the noise somehow, any suggestions please :)

2. Duane P Wetick

Apr 23, 2009
    The most effective filters for the inverter outputs that I have used are the 2-pass ferrite frequency blocks; power wire loops thru twice. And a LC Can filter on the main power going in, with the can grounded to a copper foil layer which is electrically bonded to a steel cabinet, which houses the Inverter. Conductive (silver) gasketing is used on the door. Sounds like overkill, I know, but you can play an AM radio nearby with no interference.

Cheers, DPW [ Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]