Button battery holder

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gdrumm, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I bought a small distance measurement device at a yard sale.
    The battery is a CR2032 button battery, which is dead.
    It was soldered, or spot welded in place.

I was able to remove it, but now I want to find a way to install a new one. and I'm pretty sure soldering won't work.

Would a holder from an old motherboard work?
    Are they easy to remove, install?

Has anyone done something similar?
    Any tips or helpful hints?

2. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    As long as you have room in your casing for the physical battery holder, no reason you can't install it on leads, and hot-glue it in place...

The best way would be if there is open space on the pcb to mount the holder, even if you still have to use wiring for hookup... just be sure to doublecheck your polarity !!
  3. circuitfella11

May 10, 2013
    i tried springs before when i can't manage to solder them, the downside to it is that when you change the battery again, the spring jumps out since its loose anyway.. its hard to find compatible ones, since its button batteries, soooo small.. the holder of the motherboard is good too, easy to remove easy to install.. if you can't find electronic parts as such, then u can use that..but i think they are readily available at electronics stores..

4. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Problem solved.
    I found an old MB, and pulled the cmos battery holder, and it fit perfectly into the holes on the board of the distance reading device.

That raises the question, why didn't they do that to start with?

As it turns out, when I flipped the board over to unsolder the connectors they had installed, I found another button battery on the other side, with the same configuration.

In both cases, there was plenty of room for a battery holder.

It's a Stanley tool.

I'm guessing that this is a case of planned obsolesence.
    What a shame, it's a nice tool to have.........

Thanks for your input,