...but more often than not, it's your fault

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Georacer, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    My partner (in all my project endeavors) and I decided to build a UAV. Big project, high expectations but no-one is in a hurry.

None of us had experience with RC planes, so we bought yesterday the Top Gun Park Flite Stratus for 155euros.
    It was RTF, so we just glued the tail fins and trimmed it.

Today, we took it out to learn to fly it, as a first step. It was a cold day with a light breeze. We went out to the uni, to a small classic sports track, paved with small gravel.

We opened the throttle but the plane would drag itself nose down, due to the soft ground.
    Ok, it's hand-launch then.
    When I piloted it and Byron launched it, I made a u-turn and sent it into the spectator's seats.
    When Byron piloted it, on the first run, it hit the ground from a couple of meter's high, the propeller broke and the motor was torn from its base. Only two small screws would hold it into a plastic base. Such a cheap construction for such a high price. We patched it and relaunched it.
    Byron wielded the Tx again and this time he took height, 10m or so. However, he didn't have a feel of the elevator and he sent it nose-down into the gravel, breaking the styrofoam nose.
    That ended our day.

I wouldn't believe it was so hard to fly an RC plane until today. However, I admit that we should first practice small take-offs before attempting a turn.

Maybe we should hire a test pilot, like every good scientist...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    and you're double posting?

3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Conversation with a girl friend?

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
  5. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I remember getting a styrofoam trainer aircraft for christmas a couple of years ago.

'Indestructable' apparently...

Launch it, plane does a 180 degree turn, straight into a house.

Destroyed, I carry it back.

In shame.

6. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Why do you say that? Two different accidents deserve two different threads.

Where? Where?

7. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    "My partner" :p

8. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    I thought it was explained in the parenthesis. My English isn't that bad. Take down that trollface of yours.:cool:

Sparky49 likes this.
  9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    We caught you double posting with blahblahblah!

10. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
  11. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    Temporary reserve post is temporary.

Try to prove it!:p

12. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Uhhh, do I have to? I can cheat you know.

13. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Georeacer,

Search for an RC model plane club in your community. They will have training controls where they can immediately take over in the even you get into trouble. They'll be able to give you tips on learning to fly your plane.

And I hope you aren't working on fitting it with a payload and flying it anywhere. ;)

14. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I will build one.

It will join many other top secret US drones watching Loosewire.

Top secret, only I know.

15. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    @Bill
    The 10 minutes were over before I edited it, weren't they?

@Spinnaker
    I finally found a colleague at the uni with experience. How much experience, I 'll now next week. For now, I 'll keep it in my lab.
    About the payload, I 'm posting targets on my wall right now. Mostly professors.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Sparky49 likes this.
  16. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    Geo, you just validated my reason for never building an RC plane, although I've always wanted to.
    Some of the suggestions may have me rethinking this, though. I have been a pessimist my whole life, which has probably caused me to miss out on a lot of fun.

17. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Just as long as you won't be targeting my house. :) Though if you promise to be accurate, I have a neighbor for your. :)

Someone "that knows what he is doing" is a good option but I think you might learn more at a club where you can work in tandem with someone.

18. Georacer

Thread Starter Moderator

Nov 25, 2009
    European and mostly US residents can't understand this very well. In Greece and other poor-er countries, hobbies aren't all that popular or organized. Clubs are scarce and resources come mainly from abroad. The closest official rc airstrip is a 1-hour drive and 90km away. Weekends only.
    Besides, I don't have that much time or money, to immerse myself in a new hobby. I do this strictly for scientific purposes.

19. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I am in a resource rich area. If you want a hand PM me.

Georacer likes this.