Burnt neutral

Rev Reed

Joined Oct 14, 2014
Why is it that on 120v wall receptacles that the neutral seams to be the one side that always burns first? Current flow should be equal.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
No reason, just policy. :D

Really, the current is equal. You simply stumbled on to a batch of connectors that went bad on the ground side.
I promise, they burn on the hot side, too.

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
Why is it that on 120v wall receptacles that the neutral seams to be the one side that always burns first? Current flow should be equal.
On what do you base your assumption the neutral 'seams' to always burn first?

P.S. "Seams" is for sewing.

And the current flow in the neutral and the 'other side' aren't necessarily equal because the third side - the safety ground - can also carry current during a fault.

Rev Reed

Joined Oct 14, 2014
On what do you base your assumption the neutral 'seams' to always burn first?

P.S. "Seams" is for sewing.

And the current flow in the neutral and the 'other side' aren't necessarily equal because the third side - the safety ground - can also carry current during a fault.
Good point. Let me rephrase, the left wider one with no shorts to ground occurring.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If there were any ground current flowing on an appliance plugged into a socket, the current in the neutral could be lower, the degree of current in each would depend on the Earth Ground current in the appliance, but the neutral would not carry any more than normal.
Max.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Why is it that on 120v wall receptacles that the neutral seams to be the one side that always burns first?
What do you mean by "burns first"? Turn brown, apparently from heat? I don't have any receptacles that "burn" or look burnt. The house is "only" 23 years old, but I don't think a wall outlet should ever burn or discolor unless it is repeatedly overloaded so that it gets darn hot.

Johann

Joined Nov 27, 2006
Could be that the wiring system is one where the neutral loops from one socket to the other(s). In this case, there might be a loose connection at such a point where more than one wire is connected to a common neutral connecting terminal of the socket(s).

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
When you say "burn" do you mean the plastic melts or do you mean the neutral prong gets blackened, like with smoke? Can you wipe it off? I will assume it is the latter.

In welding, smut forms on the piece being welded more than on the working electrode. One of the contributors to that is thought to be the temperature differential. The electrode being hotter than metal surrounding the weld promotes whatever is oxidized to make smut to condense on the colder surface..

This may be crazy, but maybe the larger bulk of the neutral means it stays colder than the smaller hot prong. And after many insertions with arcing to either electrode, the neutral may accumulate noticeably more smut on it.

Just a swag.

John

Rev Reed

Joined Oct 14, 2014
When you say "burn" do you mean the plastic melts or do you mean the neutral prong gets blackened, like with smoke? Can you wipe it off? I will assume it is the latter.

In welding, smut forms on the piece being welded more than on the working electrode. One of the contributors to that is thought to be the temperature differential. The electrode being hotter than metal surrounding the weld promotes whatever is oxidized to make smut to condense on the colder surface..

This may be crazy, but maybe the larger bulk of the neutral means it stays colder than the smaller hot prong. And after many insertions with arcing to either electrode, the neutral may accumulate noticeably more smut on it.

Just a swag.

John
Best answer yet. Still though, many times it is really burnt, more than just soot.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I assume the house has 220V service. Wall receptacles can be on either pole of that supply. Can you check whether the neutral is the burnt prong, regardless of which pole it is one?

Put another way, I have an older house in which about half of the receptacles are on one pole. It is not unusual to lose power to just half of the 110V outlets. I have not noticed the burning issue you describe with any receptacle, probably because I always turn an appliance off before plugging it in.

Finally, I agree with MikeML's suggestion. I rarely plug in an appliance that is turned on. In fact, I do that only when the "on" state can't be determined. Consider that when you insert the plug, there will be multiple connects/disconnects until the final state is attained. Those on/off's in quick succession can't be good for anything.

John