Burned my potentiometer, not sure what the problem is

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
I'm trying to use the potentiometer to control the brightness of the LED board. (everything works perfectly fine without the potentiometer)
Before adding the potentiometer to the circuit, I tested it with a single LED on a separate breadboard and it worked.
After the potentiometer was added to the circuit, it worked for like 1 minutes with me turning the potentiometer back and forth, then it started to make noise, smell and eventually spark was coming out too.

Here is the schematic:

I checked the voltage and current with multimeter afterward:
I= 0.058 A
V = 12.93 V
so, P= 0.696 W

Is it because the power is exceeding the potentiometer's limit (0.696 > 0.5)? If so, what would be the proper way of modifying the circuit (different types of potentiometer maybe)?

The model for this potentiometer is WH148 (B10k) and it has resistance of 10k, rated power 0.5W according to the website I purchased from.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Did it spark like this?

If you turn the pot to short the wiper #2 to terminal #3 then the full voltage of the supply will be across that small resistance.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

When moving the wiper of the potentiometer towards the 12 Volts, you will create a short accross the 12 Volts.
This will burn the part between the wiper and the 12 Volts side of the potentiometer.

Bertus

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
Did it spark like this?

If you turn the pot to short the wiper #2 to terminal #3 then the full voltage of the supply will be across that small resistance.

The spark (maybe it's more like the inside was glowing red) was constant without me touching it. It was exactly like in the video after 39 seconds.

mufasa

Joined Nov 4, 2016
Hello,

When moving the wiper of the potentiometer towards the 12 Volts, you will create a short accross the 12 Volts.
This will burn the part between the wiper and the 12 Volts side of the potentiometer.

Bertus

Hi bertus,

When turning the wiper towards the 12 volts, wouldn't it increase the resistance of the potentiometer which could block the current flow and thus making it an open circuit?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Congrats-
You know now how to zap a pot. :rolleyes:

Here's the correct way to connect the pot.
R1 is to limit the current to the LED at the zero ohms pot setting (which you may already have).

upload_2016-11-4_12-17-22.png