Bums

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KL7AJ, Jul 1, 2016.

1. KL7AJ

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 4, 2008
    "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and take this job application."

Anyone who's known me for long knows that my middle name is "Mr. Compassion." And yet, even one such as I has to do some pretty deep fracking to suck up a font of sympathy for some of the more visible "homeless" folks in Fairbanks.

One of the "regulars" in front of one of our local malls has worn a divot in the asphalt through his incessant standing, soliciting sympathy from departing shoppers, informing us by his semi-literate signage that he is in need of a home for him and his little darlings. For some reason, I wasn't too well received when I handed the feller a job application for an ice cream parlor not a bowling ball's lob from his pity divot. I don't get it...but I'm sort of naive in such matters, I suppose. One would think he would have done cartwheels of joy at the idea of a job prospect. But that's just me.

I guess I should wax Biblical or something.
    "For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat." That should be waxy enough.

It's not like there's not enough work to go around in Fairbanks. Everyone I know who has a small business.....(Hmm...I guess that's just about everyone I know)....is DESPERATE for good help...and more than willing to apprentice anyone willing to get up out of one's pity divot.

Stay tuned for more compassionate wisdom.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I have found that panhandlers are a good source of day labor. Just roll up and call out, "Who wants to work?" The one who gets to the car first gets a profitable day and some good food. The ones who don't, get to work on their pity divot.:p

3. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    Where do they go in the winter? Florida?

#12 likes this.
  4. BR-549

Sep 22, 2013
    I always went to the homeless shelters for quick manual work. For instance, loading and unloading a moving van.

The shelter manager usually knows or has their identity. And it puts the resident in good graces with the manager, getting even better offers or barracks duty.
    Explain to and let the manager choose the men, if possible.

Anything from an afternoon's loading job to a week's fence project.

Check local labor laws, so as not to become a capitalistic felon.

5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Allow some time. Someone will find a way to put you in that position.

6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    @KL7AJ

Why would you give him a job application when he already has a job? He's probably making double or triple minimum wage wearing a divot into the pavement. He will also get into a fight with anyone else trying to panhandle on 'his' turf.

7. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Here we go with another ranting thread about the homeless.

While there are common garden variety bums and panhandlers in every city, most homeless in San Francisco do not fall in that category.

Whenever the subject of homeless comes up, all I hear is the same old worn out stereotype that they are alcoholics, drug addicts, and mentally ill. However, it is also scientific fact that severe mental illness is actually caused -not mitigated- by the use of psychiatric drugs. In fact, the Food And Drug Administration (FDA) has mandated a "Black Box" warning on most antidepressants, and antipsychotics that a person can experience suicidal/homicidal ideation or violence while on the so called "medication".

Considering the risk of violence brought on by psychiatric drugs and the FDA allowing them to be marketed and prescribed, I'm very uncomfortable that the government may be conducting some kind experiment to test the effect of mass drugging on the population. This is not idea is not far fetched either. The government did conduct experiments with LSD in a secret program called "MK-Ultra". In fact, I personally met knew one victim of that experiment who claimed he was secretly drugged with LSD while serving in the army. He had symptoms of some kind of psychiatric/neurological problems (prone to hallucinations and tardive dyskinesia) that could not be traced to any kind of naturally occurring illness and the only cause would have been LSD or angle dust.

Furthermore, the government is actually shipping homeless from one city to another and the San Francisco City Attorney's office has sued the state of Nevada for shipping its homeless from Las Vegas to this city. The evidence is rock solid and interrogatories show that the Nevada Department Of Mental Health repeatedly bought tickets for Greyhound bus trips from Vegas to SF.

Never-the-less, the media keeps pushing the same old propaganda about the homeless and the American sheeple just keep swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

8. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    We have a problem with panhandlers in the Fisherman's Wharf area of San Francisco. However, I know they don't make much $$$. I walked by one of them and there was only about $5 in his box. I walked by him an hour later and there was still only $5 in the box -the money laying in the same exact position as an hour earlier.

9. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Maybe his audience wasn't appealing to his pitch...
    Here is a "social experiment" in NYC.

10. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Yeah right.

The government and the media always have some gimmicky story to support their propaganda line. I've even caught the media (KCBS Radio) in a big fat lie to promote a crisis that didn't exist.

One morning, there was a severe car/pedestrian collision (two school kids got hit) about two blocks from my home. In the afternoon about 8 hours after the accident, the station ran a story that its reporter was interviewing members of the police who were investigating the accident and he was reporting live from Bay and Buchannan in the San Francisco Marina.

So I looked down the block at the intersection and there was no one there. Furthermore, I knew the investigation was finished about 5 hours earlier and the scene had returned to normal.

There's is something to the old saying "Don't believe everything you hear from the media".

11. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Exactly! The government is just producing videos like this to, umm, a, ah, ... well, anyhow, I agree with you completely.

12. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    upload_2016-7-1_21-45-30.jpeg

[​IMG]

shortbus likes this.
  13. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Considering those secret 28 pages in the 9-11 Report, there is reason to be paranoid.

Do you believe the government is looking out for the best interest of the American people?

I sure as Hell don't.

14. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You should start stockpiling an arsenal per the second amendment and protect yourself, your neighbors and even me from your repressive government. You should also start searching for the missing minutes on the Nixon tapes, and, more importantly, why were these faces redacted?

image.jpg

shortbus and ronv like this.
  15. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
  16. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    Sometimes (many times?) the best help you can give to someone is no help at all. The "tips" he receives only help prolong his sorry state and delay his discovery of his own potential.

17. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    shortbus likes this.