Building the filter !

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by cam0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. cam0

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Hi everybody,

I am designing a passband filter. I am definitely OK with the calculation and theory, but I end up with fancy values, like 1.92uF, etc. Actually, I am wondering what kind of inductor shall I take ? I've seen a bunch of different: Coils, toroidal, etc, even ones looking like resistors :S. What is the difference between this type of inductors and which one should I use ?

Thanks a lot,

c0

2. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    What is your application? Is this for radio frequency work?

3. cam0

Mar 23, 2010
    Yes, this is a radio bandpass filter for ~300MHz.

4. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    It would be worth your while to post the designed schematic with values. A capacitance of 1.92uF at that frequency seems a little odd. The associated inductor values may be impractical ....?

5. cam0

Mar 23, 2010
    Ok, it might not be the right value :p, I have the schematics at home. However, I was just wondering whether I should do the inductor myself or buy an existing one 0o ? There are so many differences in shape between these coils that I don't understand the difference and when/where to use them

6. t_n_k

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 6, 2009
    Surface mount inductors seem to be the modern choice for the frequency of interest. But your choice will depend on how you intend to fabricate and test / tune the filter. That won't be a trivial task.

Anyway - maybe take a look at this link ...

http://vaedrah.angelfire.com/inductors.htm

cam0 likes this.
  7. cam0

Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks t_n_k. I am asking the question, because it seems that the toroids have a pretty fast decreasing Q at high frequency. I'll dig into that.

8. Ghar

Mar 8, 2010
    To get reasonable values you sometimes do this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype_filter

You solve for the components values assuming something like 1F and then you can scale all the components to something practical based on your restrictions.

9. sat.astra

Apr 1, 2010