Building Tank Simulator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Kyle Duncan, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Kyle Duncan

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 15, 2014

I am currently in the process of building a M1A2 SEP v2 Abrams Tank Simulator. It is a mock up of the Gunners Station in the tank. I have designed it to be small and portable in order to assist my unit in maintaining readiness while deployed to areas where we cannot utilize our tanks.

At its basic use, it is a switch-ology trainer with the ability to be upgraded at a later date to interact with a computer to enhance training. Currently I am just attempting to get some of the original switches and buttons to work.

My current hurdle.

- 5 buttons with a LED indicator light for each (ammunition selection) / the buttons appear to be "NO" / the power for the buttons and the LED indicator light was originally chained through each with an independent return for both the button function and the LED light.

- originally, when a button was selected, it turns on its LED indicator light while at the same time turning off the previous button and its LED indicator light. There was of course some type of communication with the ballistics computer but I am just worried about the lights for now.

I know this can be achieved with some type of combination of Relays but the huge amount of wires, confusing schematics, and the fact that I am very new at this has combined to create my current problem.

I appreciate your help! If you any additional information please ask!

2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    You say you are building it, but then you reference an existing model and it sounds like you are modifying it. I'm confused.

Do you need a set of buttons that mechanically reset when another button is pressed, like an old car radio? Or just change which LED is lit?
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    I recall there was some previous posts on Radio Buttons, and a source, if needed.
    You could use the original mechanical style, a logic circuit version, or a small micro, if you need other functions also.
  4. Kyle Duncan

Dec 15, 2014
    The buttons are not mechanical. They have contacts for NC and NO For now I am just trying to get the LED Lights to work but having the ability for the button to perform an additional function fits my future plan for it.

Would it be easier if I posted some pictures and the portion of the schematics that cover it.
  5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    A schematic is always helpful.
  6. Kyle Duncan

Dec 15, 2014
    I will attach a picture and that portion of the schematics when I get home. I appreciate the responses so far!