Building own 8051 development kit

jimkeith

Joined Oct 26, 2011
I have had good results with Sunrom ISP programmers--make your dev board compatible with the 10pin ISP connection and use the AT89S51 or 52 and you never have to handle a chip again for programming. Any problems or questions, Viral, their bright development engineer, provides great support. They provide schematics too and will also sell the programmer IC with firmware in case you want to incorporate it into your dev board as I did a few years ago.

http://www.sunrom.com/programmers-8051/89sxx-isp-usb-programmer

While this programmer has a socket, you can use the 10pin ISP port instead.

The 8051 series will be around for a long time--they keep bringing out faster and more powerful versions--and some are very inexpensive--Atmel has a great line of them--my favorite is the AT89S52 in the PLCC package.
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/AT89S52-24JU/AT89S52-24JU-ND/1118893

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
Which 8051 are you using?

Codes can by downloaded to the AT89C5131 (8051derivative) via USB from your PC. Alternative, the NXP 89LPC9xx uses serial port of your PC for program downloading. No additional programmer is needed.

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Which 8051 are you using?

Codes can by downloaded to the AT89C5131 (8051derivative) via USB from your PC. Alternative, the NXP 89LPC9xx uses serial port of your PC for program downloading. No additional programmer is needed.
I'm not sure. But looking at that sunrom programmer I'm thinking of using 89S51/52.
But 89C5131 looks better option. Did you used it yourself? Need to look in detail on this.
And NXP requires serial...means COM port right? If so my PC doesn't have one. Thanks.

Last edited:

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
here's a 68010 dev board I put together some twenty years ago;

Today I wouldn't think of such a task and prefer these guys;

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from...313&_nkw=atmel+32u4&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Download Flip and a USB cable and your rolling.
Wow! that bunch of wires & IC's. Must be fun putting all together & get it work. Actually I wanted to build board myself....Lets see. I'll post it when I'm done. People are using Arduino, PIC etc. these days, but I'm quite fond of 8051. Dunno why! may be because It's the first uC I studied. BTW Thanks. :)

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
I'm not sure. But looking at that sunrom programmer I'm thinking of using 89S51/52.
But 89C5131 looks better option. Did you used it yourself? Need to look in detail on this.
And NXP requires serial...means COM port right? If so my PC doesn't have one. Thanks.
Yes. I have used the 89C5131 and 89LPC922. If your PC does not have a COM port, you can use a USB-Serial convertor. The image shows a 89LPC922 circuit which i have built. The small board is a USB-serial convertor. The 89C5131 uses Flip for downloading while the NXP uses Flashmagic. To get a quick start on building the board, you can refer to the Keil MCB900 evaluation board documentation.

Last edited:

@android

Joined Dec 15, 2011
Yes. I have used the 89C5131 and 89LPC922. If your PC does not have a COM port, you can use a USB-Serial convertor. The image shows a 89LPC922 circuit which i have built. The small board is a USB-serial convertor. The 89C5131 uses Flip for downloading while the NXP uses Flashmagic. To get a quick start on building the board, you can refer to the Keil MCB900 evaluation board documentation.

Hey do you have the circuit for USB-Serial convertor? Or the kit is readily available?
I googled it. Found USB-Serial cable is available. :)

Last edited:

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Above 68010 board

Well I did not have so much discipline, made 6 or 7 68K proto boards so far none of them completed. What I have in working condition is a RAM bootloader (PIC based).

I have now ordered a PCI-bus base board with 3 slots, to construct a more orderly prototype.

Here a photo from 68008 single board computer, never powered up, no schematics exist. With some assistance, and lots of efforts, I could transform it into working condition, eventually. But I rather think of the PCI-bus solution.

I have a 68SEC000 design as well in form of PCB layout (only in software now).

Making these 68K proto boards and reading the manuals well improved my microcontroller circuits!

Attachments