building long range RF controlled AC switch

janelson

Joined Dec 21, 2008
I see some posts about similar topics, please bear with me, I need a bit more hand holding than the threads provided. I want to create a system that will allow me to turn on/off my dock lights from a long range as a guide beacon during inclement weather. From past experiences, this is an essential safety function for my setting to not only guide me, but also friends and strangers who are out on the lake at night and get turned around by the elements.

So far I have acquired a transmitter and receiver from eBAy seller "e-madinchn", the transmitter remote is spec'd at 2000m distance. We'll see what the actual is, I do not want to waste your time on any debates around that, but focus on how to implement the receiver to be capable of driving an A/C circuit containing 10 20 Watt CF bulbs. I am assuming that if using P= V*1 I can support 360 watts with this receiver's relay, but look for clarification if not correct.

My current confused state is around how to hook up the receiver to the 120VAC circuit, the schematic attached is not telling me what I need for my understanding.

I get the 12VDC hookup, just need to get direction on the COMM/NO/NC designated connections as they relate to ground, I assume COMM - Neutral and that the NO/NC are options for the hot side, but love to hear from you on that. Also would like to learn what gauge hookup wire you would use, the receiver came with very light weight ribbon cable (think disc drive data cable).

The whole system is remote from the grid, so will use an inverter from batteries to create the 120 VAC.

Receiver:

• Model No.: RR1-L
  • Type: RF Radio, 315MHz or 433MHz selectable
  • Operating voltage: 12V
  • Decode: Fixed code Soldering
  • Control Type: Latch
  • Relay: 3A 120VAC / 24VDC

Attachments

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The relays contacts can be seen as an switchcontacts that are activated by the coil of the relays.
The common is the middle contact.
The NO is the contact that closes when the relays is activated.
The NC is the contac that opens when the relays is activated.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

janelson

Joined Dec 21, 2008
Thank you, that clarifies the hookup! I still need to get feedback on the remaining question wrt wire gauge. I have attached a photo of the pcb to illustrate the hookup pins. I am assuming that I will use a crimp connector with stranded wire from the pcb to a buss where I can complete the circuit with the ground contact 12awg romex.

Attachments