Building headphones. What ohms are the Sony MDR-V200 speakers?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by SvenS, Nov 18, 2008.

1. SvenS

Thread Starter Member

Nov 18, 2008
    I am building a custom set of headphones for my metal detector, the speakers in this headset sound identical to the single speaker in the metal detector itself. Other speakers tried sound muffled and not crisp and clear.

Once I know the ohms for sure will ask some more questions about using a couple pots for volume control as well as a current limiter using a resistor and led to prevent surface located items from blasting loud volume out of the speakers.

Thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Doesn't Sony publish the spec's?

3. SvenS

Thread Starter Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Found specs for the V-300's they are 24 ohm.

I put my multi meter on ohms and measured a 200 speaker, it read 22.
    Not sure if it means 24ohm

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Close is close. You're just trying to listen for a squeal and change in pitch.

5. SvenS

Thread Starter Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Just finished with Sony chat, they said the info was not published and to email tech support.

I gues I will consider them 24 ohm and work from there.

6. SvenS

Thread Starter Member

Nov 18, 2008
    The output from the metal detector manual suggests headphones from 8-32 ohms.

I would like to build a set of headphones using the Sony speakers.
    Considering they are 24 ohms, I need two audio taper pots , one for each speaker volume. Would 100K be ok?

Now I have another pr. of headsets for my other detector, instead of using a varisistor to dampen loud blasts from surface targets, they use a resistor and a green (lit) lcd. I am wondering what resistor I would need with the above 24 ohm set-up.

The set up in the headphones with the lcd limiter use two 300 ohm speakers, which end up being (150 ohm headset) so I am assuming the values would be different for the 24 ohms.
    The pots they use for volume are Bournes 3310c-111-102L, the resistor attached to the lcd is labeled BSCJ 1500.

Thanks

7. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    Note that the impedance of a speaker changes with frequency. Thus at some frequencies it may have a low impedance and your amplifier has to be capable to drive it.