Building a VU meter

tbw

Joined May 24, 2012
Not sure if this is the correct subforum, so an admin feel free to move the topic if its in the wrong place.

Project: VU Meter

Brief: Large LED-lit system that can have stereo sound input and output corresponding light levels.

Examples:

Video 1 - "LED VU - Color Music"
Video 2 - "RGB Vu meter Final test video"

Sketches: simple paint.net sketch

Materials needed: Not sure yet - need help

Circuit: Not sure yet - need help

Build: Not started yet

I have a GCSE qualification in Electronics, and I have *just* taken my exams for AS-level Electronics. I have test equipment at home and soldering irons etc. I would like to buy a pre-made kit but if that's not possible i am able to create my own and test on Circuit Wizard.

Could you guys help me out with the circuit i would need, parts etc.

PS what is a good program to simulate a circuit like this? The educational version of Circuit Wizard I have does not feature the LM3915 IC that I see is commonly used in VU circuits. I would also like to see how the circuit would react to music before i build it.

Thanks

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
There are lots of kits available. The circuits in the videos appear to be Vu meters but what's with the color changes; they don't seem to track the music? It's not clear from your illustration, with the band references, whether you want strictly a Vu meter or some kind of color organ.

You also have some unusual colors there. Have you researched LEDs?

Last edited:

tbw

Joined May 24, 2012
There are lots of kits available. The circuits in the videos appear to be Vu meters but what's with the color changes; they don't seem to track the music? It's not clear from your illustration, with the band references, whether you want strictly a Vu meter or some kind of color organ.

You also have some unusual colors there. Have you researched LEDs?
the colours are only there for illustrative purposes

I will just use blue LED's, probably 12v ones like THESE