Building a unique motor, first time!

blurrycustoms

Joined Sep 11, 2008
I'm new here, and I'm looking to build a motor, of the brushless dc sort, and am looking for some direction. Also, if you all don't mind, I would like to document my progress here!

Here are my requirements:

-DC brushless
-18" outer diameter, 4" wide, and 16" inner diameter <-----yes, inner diameter
-output 30 hp

I am beginning with a lot of research, so bear with me. Any suggestions on where to start?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is another interesting Yahoo group to check out.

One decision you will have to make is whether you want an out-runner or normal configuration.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I agree, it is far fetched for a first project.

As for "issues," machining the stator laminates will be one. Another will be finding shaped magnets for the field, assuming it is going to be a PM out-runner.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here's a commercial version, Predator. Could not find a price. Power is given as 15 to 20 HP at various places.

View attachment 4435

From the size you are proposing, is it possible you are thinking of incorporating it into the wheel of a vehicle? If so, be sure to consider the gyroscopic effects of such a large un-sprung mass, particularly if on the steering wheels. Some of the old rotary Gnome engines in aircraft produced some nasty effects.

John

blurrycustoms

Joined Sep 11, 2008
Here's a commercial version, Predator. Could not find a price. Power is given as 15 to 20 HP at various places.

View attachment 4435

From the size you are proposing, is it possible you are thinking of incorporating it into the wheel of a vehicle? If so, be sure to consider the gyroscopic effects of such a large un-sprung mass, particularly if on the steering wheels. Some of the old rotary Gnome engines in aircraft produced some nasty effects.

John

The wheel idea is cool:), but it's actually for industrial use. Still researching and designing!