Building a unique motor, first time!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by blurrycustoms, Sep 12, 2008.

1. blurrycustoms

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2008
    I'm new here, and I'm looking to build a motor, of the brushless dc sort, and am looking for some direction. Also, if you all don't mind, I would like to document my progress here!

Here are my requirements:

-DC brushless
    -18" outer diameter, 4" wide, and 16" inner diameter <-----yes, inner diameter
    -output 30 hp

I am beginning with a lot of research, so bear with me. Any suggestions on where to start?

2. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
  3. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008
    that is a cool link, thanks. Has anyone ever seen a motor like this attempted before. With such a large inner diameter?

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    You might look for info on "pancake motor" design, since your dimension specs fit that description.

Ken

5. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008
    Yeah, I had been looking into that, that is probably where I'll end up.

6. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Here is another interesting Yahoo group to check out.

One decision you will have to make is whether you want an out-runner or normal configuration.

John

7. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008
    Just a quick rendering of the stator, to give you guys an idea of what I'm thinking.

[​IMG]

Comments?

8. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008
    Anybody see any major issues? Personally I think it's far fetched, but those are the kind of projects that I like!

9. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I agree, it is far fetched for a first project.

As for "issues," machining the stator laminates will be one. Another will be finding shaped magnets for the field, assuming it is going to be a PM out-runner.

John

10. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008
    Yes, PM out runner. I was planning on having the stators and insulators water jet cut. I may try a small version as a test run.

11. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Here's a commercial version, Predator. Could not find a price. Power is given as 15 to 20 HP at various places.

View attachment 4435

From the size you are proposing, is it possible you are thinking of incorporating it into the wheel of a vehicle? If so, be sure to consider the gyroscopic effects of such a large un-sprung mass, particularly if on the steering wheels. Some of the old rotary Gnome engines in aircraft produced some nasty effects.

John

12. blurrycustoms

Sep 11, 2008

The wheel idea is cool:), but it's actually for industrial use. Still researching and designing!