Building a power supply for a Bunsen burner?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by PartyLine4, Jan 14, 2013.

1. PartyLine4

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I thought it would be neat to try and build a power supply for a fireboy plus Bunsen burner.

The burner calls for 14Vac and draws an alleged .4A

I am a complete noob when it comes to these types of circuits, so any help is appreciated.

2. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    I'm assuming you want to make an external line-powered power supply. The link indicates that they are powered be a NiMH 3.6 V/2000 mAh, rechargeable battery. http://www.integra-biosciences.com/sites/fireboy_4_e.html
    Is yours different? Does it have a jack for an external power source?

Ken

3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    The specs claim the mains adapter outputs 9VDC, 0.5A. That doesn't match your comment. You obviously need to know which it is.

What part of this do you want to "build" versus buy? Whether you need 14VAC or 9VDC, you can buy off-the-shelf much cheaper than you could build your own.

You should also determine whether the stock adapter is a simple, old fashioned wall wart (unregulated, transformer) or a SMPS, which likely supplies a regulated voltage.

4. BillO

Nov 24, 2008
    The older model of the Fireboy used a 14VAC adapter rated at 7VA. This would just simply be a 14 volt output transformer. Seeing as it it unregulated AC, this implies internal rectification, filtering and regulation. Hence you might find anything from 13V to 15V would do fine. Something like a Hammond Manufacturing 166G14 would be ideal for the purposes.