Building a model elevator!

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
That's why I want communication on the forum. I don't want to do all the work for him; but I am quite open to help him out with the occasional thing.

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
Start by describing exactly what the elevator must do. There's a lot more than you think. What are the actual states that it can be in?

Then think about what you need to do all of this. This list doesn't include everything, and you don't need all of this to start.
- Buttons - up/down on each floor, floor select in the car, door open/close? Safety switch so the door doesn't close on anyone? Alarm? Fire recall?
- Indicator lights - floor number above the door? Up/down arrows? Illuminated buttons so you know they were pressed?
- Limit switches so the electronics know when the door is fully open, fully closed, when the elevator is level at each floor
- Motors - you will need two (door and lifting). How do you reverse them?
- A timer to keep the doors open for a certain amount of time?

Now that you know all of the inputs and outputs, you can come up with a state machine for how the elevator should respond to each of those inputs at each stage of its operation. At this point, you can decide if you want to use a microprocessor to control this, discrete logic, relay logic, or some other means.

Of course, there's also the mechanical side.
/mike

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
I agree with an earlier post - get the mechanical part of it functioning then start adding options from there.

Most complicated circuits start out as building blocks that are eventually integrated together, operation reviewed, modifications made or added, etc

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Wow school must have changed since I was there...
I always thought you impress teachers with the work YOU can do.. not how well you can get someone on the internet to do the work for you. Maybe you should pick a project you can actually do on your own. Show YOUR skills and things YOU can do.

If you teacher asks you a question I don't think you can say.."hold on let me go email Tom"
Sorry for the miscommunication, this is also to learn. Ofcourse i wouldnt build a model elevator without paying attention instead of following orders blindly!

If i ask my math teacher to help me with a assignment i am having trouble with, it is the same thing. I show enthusiasm! (And i thought it would be fun to have something to do in my spare time :))

Last edited:

DQvigstad

Joined Aug 25, 2010
Start by describing exactly what the elevator must do. There's a lot more than you think. What are the actual states that it can be in?

Then think about what you need to do all of this. This list doesn't include everything, and you don't need all of this to start.
- Buttons - up/down on each floor, floor select in the car, door open/close? Safety switch so the door doesn't close on anyone? Alarm? Fire recall?
- Indicator lights - floor number above the door? Up/down arrows? Illuminated buttons so you know they were pressed?
- Limit switches so the electronics know when the door is fully open, fully closed, when the elevator is level at each floor
- Motors - you will need two (door and lifting). How do you reverse them?
- A timer to keep the doors open for a certain amount of time?

Now that you know all of the inputs and outputs, you can come up with a state machine for how the elevator should respond to each of those inputs at each stage of its operation. At this point, you can decide if you want to use a microprocessor to control this, discrete logic, relay logic, or some other means.

Of course, there's also the mechanical side.
/mike
This is a little bit complicated for me, we just started with wires a day or two back. But as i finish my goals on this project, i will try to advance into those sections :)