Building a Lithium ion battery charger that uses a DC generator as a source

Himalayasman

Joined Sep 11, 2013
Hello guys,

i am working on my final year Electrical Engineering project and i would like to know if i can use one of those lithium ion battery charger controller chips like the LM3622 or the MCP73841 in my charger circuit knowing that the source that will be charging the battery is a geared DC motor used as a generator.

The input voltage to these two chips is 4.5V, so i was wondering if given that the rpm of the the generator will not be constant and the voltage coming out of it will vary (sometime below 4.5V and sometimes higher than 4.5V), would any of these chips work consistently whenever the voltage is higher than 4.5V (but not constant) ? And if not, what type of circuit should i make that would make use of that electrical power coming out from the generator and use it to charge a Lithuim ion battery ?

Please help me with that and thank you in advance.

Hima

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Seems like either one should work. One is 4.5 to 12. The other 4.5 to 24 on the input. The LM3622 might be a bit more bullet proof for when the input power goes to low.

Himalayasman

Joined Sep 11, 2013
do you what type of adapter i can use in order to be able to use any of these tiny chips on a bread board to test it before mounting it on a PCB ?

Thanks a lot.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Look up the line regulation spec, max input voltage and dropout voltage. That should tell you everthing you need to know.