building a led clock to replace interior car analog clock

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by boostedrst, Nov 18, 2010.

1. boostedrst

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Anyone have any ideas on where to start ? I would like a digital type display with leds ,has to work on 12v and needs to be about 3"x2"

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Is it a personal requirement for you to build it yourself? I was buying that item in the late 70's.

4. boostedrst

Feb 8, 2010
    i just always hated the analog clock in my car + the backlighting on it is horrible . Somthing a little more to date . Was looking for a circuit design to build one myself. LCD might be a better option . I figured id ask here since its probably something pretty common .

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    What is your background experience? It is pretty common, however it is not a beginner level project, more intermediate to advanced user.

They used to make chips specifically for this job, nowdays µC (microcontrollers such as PICs or Ardinos) are the most common way to go.

The real problem is the size. You are talking an awful small footprint.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/...=digital+clock&shopid=100001&_requestid=25580

6. boostedrst

Feb 8, 2010
    oh nice . That 3"x2" may work perfect . Thanks man . I have experience building simple logic circuits and Led retrofits .a tiny bit working with pic microcontrollers but not enough experience to design my own microcontroller circuit and program it . I have a hard time learning microcontrollers when it comes to using them in a automotive application .

7. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    analog clock hey, what year /model is your vehicle. Sometimes modifying original equipment reduces value.