Building a Heads Up Display (HUD) for a car

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dmc0162, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dmc0162

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 13, 2007
    This is just something I was thinking would be a cool project to work on. Some cars such as certain corvettes, pontiac GTP's, etc come with a HUD from the factory to display speed, RPM, or other things. I was thinking about making one for my car, just as a side project for fun. Does anybody have any knowledge on something like this? Getting the actual RPM and speed data is not my concern at this stage, I am just seeing if people have any ideas on what I could use to actually display the data. I have a spare dashboard for my car that I can cut up, and like other OEM manufacturers that use a HUD, it would display onto the windshield rather than some separate piece of glass. Just figured I would post here while I started researching it incase anybody has any ideas. Thanks!
  2. Anal0g1nBlack

Dec 15, 2010
    Study old stand-up arcade games, asthey used this same tech, and you could probably get info cheap as they are out dated.
  3. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Droid Phones have "ZP Dashboard" which makes a HUD. All you need to do is start the program and lay it on the dash.

It shows speed, GPS coordinates, heading, accelleration +/- Gs, fighter HUD style, or just speed and direction in basic style.

Looking at the phone, it is simply big letters in teal or green (or whatever color you pick), they are displayed in mirror image. Only works at night though due to brightness concerns, and no special semi-mirrored area to reflect from.

You can see the frame for the semi-mirror HUD in F-16s in photos, it's a square sitting on the "dash" in front of the pilot, with no top brace, just the two sides.

Easily seen in that picture.
  4. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009