Building a frequency meter, Any advice?

RTC

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Hi

Currently at university at the moment in first year and been told as a project I must design a and build a frequency meter.

"you are required to design and build a circuit to display the frequency of a TTL compatible square wave wave. Frequency meters consist of a counter, a display and a gate that is opened and closed under the control of an accurate oscoscillator, plus some control. Your circuit should consist of three seven segment displays and indicate frequency in the range of 0-999hz. Your circuit should freeze the display when the gate closes so that it can be read, and reset it to zero before the gate opens again. It will therefore be necessary to design some gate and reset control circuitry, and possibly latch"

Above is the exact brief given.

I'm unsure where to start at the moment my lecturer has only taught us about gates so far.

So any help being that of youtube videos or websites to read to help me understand to design and build this would be great.

Many thanks
Rhys

RTC

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Cheers

Started doing that, but at the moment I'm struggling to understand how they all work togethe, to make a frequency meter.

Will that all become clear once I know enough about them?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
try to understand something like a zero crossing detector ?
TTL doesn't cross zero. You're going to be using digital chips to count highs and lows.

Start with a "block diagram". This is the input, it must have at least this much impedance and that much speed. This is the gate. It must open and close...how fast and how accurate? etc.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Gopher laid out a good start. Just begin by looking at the blocks and what the building blocks each do. That drawing is a good illustration, really good.

Ron

RTC

Joined Feb 9, 2015
Cheers for all your help so far,

Looks like I have a lot of theory to learn first before I can start trying to tackle designing this.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You have to find the theory of frequency meter and how many functions it needed, and then solve them one by one, and put them together, the last is to test the function and debug.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

wmodavis

Joined Oct 23, 2010
I say gophers are much smarter than groundhogs. The GHs can't even predict the weather yet this gopher can simplify a frequency counter right down to the simple basics.

IcedFruits

Joined Jan 15, 2014
TTL doesn't cross zero. You're going to be using digital chips to count highs and lows.

Start with a "block diagram". This is the input, it must have at least this much impedance and that much speed. This is the gate. It must open and close...how fast and how accurate? etc.
thanks, missed the ttl part.