Building a circuit w/120vac and microcontroller

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by cbassett1, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbassett1

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I have a decent amount of knowledge with microelectronics (as the saying goes, enough to get me hurt) but I am looking into creating a traffic light controller that is editable by programming. I am looking to be cost effective with feasibility.
    I would like to not use relays if possible and know the best and cheapest place to buy a part like a transformer. I'm familiar with mouser and sparkfun to name a few. My soldering skills are just a step above poor but rising. The key is running 12 to 15 outputs 120 vac switched by a microcontroller. It seems like picaxe might be friendly and easily reprogrammable but I am open to suggestions. Let me know if you need any more information.
    I like this design here and etc but would like to make a few changes like make my own sequences.
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Please read this entire recent forum thread. It explains why trying to use a ucontroller powered directly by AC line is a verrry bad idea. The terms of service on this forum preclude discussions about it, anyway.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Which is why I'm closing this thread. Start from the premise you need a transformer (or a wall wart) and try again.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.