Building a Calculator in Arm Assembly?

Jon_Snow

Joined Jan 15, 2013
Ok for my microprocessor class we have to come up with a project and build it in assembly. Well parts of it that wouldn't be practical in assembly we can do it another language. Either way I was hoping to build a basic calculator. My main concern is . I'm using the Keil Simulator to test and debug my program. I was hoping to add a GUI. How would I go about doing that.?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Well a GUI framework is a body of code that provides the basic functionality and you adapt it to your needs. Eclipse is an example of a framework that is used to build an integrated development environment for example. You add your own text editor and compiler tools. I'm guessing that the whole business of a GUI is quite beyond your current level of achievement, unless there are additional facts not in evidence of which I am unaware.

Jon_Snow

Joined Jan 15, 2013
Your probably right. My main goal is to build a calculator in arm Assembly with user inputs and outputs. Right now I don't actually have an arm processor so what I've been doing is using the simulation software(KEIL) that arm provides to test all my code. I was planning on doing my project in KEIL and was looking into whether it's a possibility to add a GUI on top of assembly code. If I can't do the GUI the minimum I'll do is user inputs and outputs.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't now anything about Keil software. But, if you're not required to use Keil, you might check out Proteus for simulation. I think you can make a GUI, and there are many here that use it ( I do not )

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Your probably right. My main goal is to build a calculator in arm Assembly with user inputs and outputs. Right now I don't actually have an arm processor so what I've been doing is using the simulation software(KEIL) that arm provides to test all my code. I was planning on doing my project in KEIL and was looking into whether it's a possibility to add a GUI on top of assembly code. If I can't do the GUI the minimum I'll do is user inputs and outputs.
I assumed that you were not talking about building a GUI from scratch in ARM Assembly language. That would be a truly monstrous endeavor even assuming you had a graphics hardware model to begin from. That said, if the environment, Keil or Proteus, provides the FRAMEWORK for such a thing, it should be a straightforward task to read the product documentation and see if it will meet your needs.

vpoko

Joined Jan 5, 2012
If you built a calculator in assembly that takes its inputs as command line arguments, you can then build a GUI on top of that using any framework (e.g. Java, or even HTML). All the GUI front-end would do is call the command-line program and display the results (in the HTML case, it would be use a CGI call)

If I were doing this (and didn't have contrary instructions from the teacher), I'd run an ARM-targeted Linux distribution (like ARM Debian) using QEMU. Then you'd have a full OS to help you with the front-end (whether that requires Java, a web server, or whatever), that's still capable of executing ARM code.