Building a battery 12V battery charger

Philogic

Joined Mar 31, 2015
I agree. It should be more than adequate. The current rating is what the supply is able to handle. The amount of current that actually goes through it will depend upon whatever is drawing from it. You need to make sure a supply can handle the draw of the load -- not the other way around. The supply will not "push" more than the load circuit requires. The only issues you might see from an over-rated supply would be related to voltage -- either as being high enough to need to alter (or adjust) the circuit to deal with the excess, or as related to stability (i.e. spikes, surges, and other fluctuations).

That said, I am far from the most reliable source here; so if anybody tells you the circuit needs some kind of modification, I would tend to go with their advice over mine. (This is why I did not answer your question initially.)

Also, while my questions were answered (and a ton of information was made available for all), I should have been more careful not to get in the way of you getting your answers in a thread that you started.

RayInMS

Joined Dec 12, 2012
I agree. It should be more than adequate. The current rating is what the supply is able to handle. The amount of current that actually goes through it will depend upon whatever is drawing from it. You need to make sure a supply can handle the draw of the load -- not the other way around. The supply will not "push" more than the load circuit requires. The only issues you might see from an over-rated supply would be related to voltage -- either as being high enough to need to alter (or adjust) the circuit to deal with the excess, or as related to stability (i.e. spikes, surges, and other fluctuations).

That said, I am far from the most reliable source here; so if anybody tells you the circuit needs some kind of modification, I would tend to go with their advice over mine. (This is why I did not answer your question initially.)

Also, while my questions were answered (and a ton of information was made available for all), I should have been more careful not to get in the way of you getting your answers in a thread that you started.
You're not in the way at all, sir. The more the merrier. I'll post progress updates when I get into the project.

Philogic

Joined Mar 31, 2015
I'm pretty sure that most -- if not all -- of the parts are available at MCM (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/). Unlike other sites, you can order just one or two of the smaller items if you want. And, if you've never dealt with them before, you can get 10% off of your first order for signing up for their mailing list (look for the popup when you first get to the site).
Good luck.