build your own or buy

azgeppo

Joined Apr 5, 2009
I have thinking about a tranformer 150/200 VA, I would like not to spend much about it, doesa nybody has a suggestion if it is easire/cheaper to buy one or build one. If it is better to build one, does anybody has asuggestion where to buy an e core ferrite with the bobine mount ?
Appreciate feedback

azgeppo

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
In my opinion it's much better to buy a ready made transformer than winding your own. The exception to this rule is if you need a specialty transformer that is not available through a supplier.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I'd go with a built transformer, especially at the power requirements you list. What is the operating frequency? If it is 50/60 Hz, then the chances of making one even close to as efficient as a company that specializes in them is small.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I agree that you are better off buying the transformer. Then you cann focus your design efforts on the remaining portions of the circuitry.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Unless you have very specific needs that can't be met by an available transformer, you will save a great deal of time and money buying one that's ready-made.

However, if you wish to experiment or just get an idea of the transformer design process, here's a link to a Wikibooks entry that describes some of the basics and formulas for transformer design:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/Transformer_Design

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Strongly recommend to buy one unless you are a professional in the design of transformers. You may think that a transformer is simply two coils close together but many other factors you might don't think are considered.