build request

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by ZAPPERric, Nov 18, 2012.

1. ZAPPERric

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Need a device for child demo at a expo. Needs to have 5 - 10 push buttons that will play a short wave file for each button. Can be a/c or d/c. Can have a built in speaker or a connector that I can hook up a external one. Should be someone local to my area. I can build a wood box or you can build a plastic or metal housing. Hope to be under a $100 It would be nice if the wav files could be changed but not required. York, Pa.

2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Wow anything else? :rolleyes:

A $100 including parts to design and build a custom circuit that plays wave files. Your kidding right? Most of these people around here make $100 in an hour or two.

If you want to try this on your own, most people around here are more than happy to guide you on your design and build but they aren't going todo it for you. Certainly not for $100.

3. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    While there are a lot of members here, finding one who has the background and is able to do what you want in a specific city will be tough.

However, this is fairly easy to do youreslf by using an existing device. KJ6EAD made an excellent suggestion. Here are a few more.

You can buy several recordable greeting cards locally, take out the modules, solder on your own switches, then record your wav files by playing them through speakers. Not sure how much this will cost nor your comfort level with soldering. The sound will be okay, but not great.

Another option is a pre-built device with buttons and all. This sounds like the best match for what you are looking for:

http://store.bigdawgspromo.com/prod...12964&osCsid=38a0098a531d0c4a873266b78fc77520

You can load your wav files onto the device via USB and change them as often as you like. It comes with a selection of buttons - be sure you pick the ones and colors you want before ordering, otherwise they will all be pink. I suggest the large buttons as these can easily be mounted to wood, plastic. metal, etc. with the included nut. The small ones would have to be mounted to a backer board or support of some type.

Two of these will give you eight buttons total for $98 before shipping. I think this is the simplest solution to meet your requirements.

5. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Why do you need to play wav files when you can demo a child by simply leaving it alone? Maybe a couple toys or something so it can be happy and people won't criticize your work/ Maybe a little food to keep it alive until at least the demo is over, but that's about it.

:D

Seriously, though, if you want to try to build it, there are plenty of people here to help you, but like what has already been said, you probably won't find someone willing to make it for you...

6. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    There is a lot of information missing for your request.

How long in duration are the .wav files?

What audio quality is required?

What will the buttons be labeled, how large do they need to be? Tactile switches or touch pads?

What is the exhibit supposed to displaying/purpose of device?

$100 which would likely only cover the parts/enclosure/power supply if properly built (durable, quality audio, USB connection to load audio files, etc) as a prototype.

How soon do you need it?

Since you prefer "Local to you", your best bet would be to check with local colleges with EE programs and see if a Junior/Senior or even post-grad student will do it as a project for a lab. They tend to work for cheap. :D

Contact a professor and see if they have a student to suggest for a side project, as every class has ambitious students that love building things.

7. n1ist

Mar 8, 2009
  8. John P

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 14, 2008
    elec_mech likes this.
  9. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    elec_mech likes this.
  10. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    That's a pretty good video. I've done quite a bit with a local science center, which uses a combination of PC, PIC and PLC in their exhibits.

Many of the exhibits that I've helped repair are impressive. The construction is sturdy, like "Compared to this stuff, military hardware looks like it is from China knock-offs" sturdy. And something on them still manages to break. Luckily, they have an on site mini machine shop to rebuild some of the unique parts quite often. Overbuilt to the extreme. Why use 2x4 framing when 2" square iron could be used instead?

I thought it was a bit wasteful and over-the-top way of going about it when I first assisted, but now there are virtually zero physical buttons, all of them are touch sensitive pads, or touch screens with high-impact glass in front. (They really need to move that rock exhibit. :rolleyes:)

Building stuff for kids makes me a bit more impressed by the mechanical division of Fisher Price, seriously. A speak and spell that still works after being used by 2 different kids in a family is nearly equal durability to having a robot drive around on Mars for a decade.