Build my own or use a halogen transformer?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by urb-nurd, Dec 20, 2014.

1. urb-nurd

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Hey guys, im here to see if i can steal any wisdom relating to halogen transformers.
    I was going to switch the output of a halogen transformer at high frequency to allow me to control the brightness of the bulb using a PWM output.
    I got a cheapy 50 watt transformer from homebase and hooked that up to my oscillioscope, though i managed to short the high voltage terminals so that is obviously DED.
    Anyways, i plan to use a 300W halogen though i believe this to maybe sit around the higher realms of consumer transformer units for households.

To present the question properly - i was wondering if i should go about assembling my own rectifier with a transformer or whether or not the halogen transformers available to purchase will be satisfactory for my application.
    (school project, so it needs to work but can be flawed with regards to longevity)

Thanks for taking the time to read!

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    For the sake of £5, its not worth making one, i take it has a 12V output.

3. urb-nurd

Thread Starter Member

Jul 9, 2014
    Yeah the output of the halogen transformer is 12V and capable of 250VA (i eventually plan to pull 300).
    The output of the halogen transformer is so messy i almost question its functionality.

I have a 12v 20w transformer i pulled from a desk lamp i am playing with now.

I basically just need to be able to get a max 300w output i can average out using PWM.