Build Circuit with four inputs and two outputs

vlucaj

Joined Sep 21, 2015
Hi all. I'm new to the site, just started taking my Computer Architecture course and everything has been going well. Just ran into a problem I can't seem to understand. I looked online and I can't find any help.

So the question is..

A circuit with four inputs A, B, C, D and two outputs X, Y. Now there are 16 different input values from 0 to 15, and they are evenly divided to four parts (0…3; 4…7; 8…11; 12…15), and these four parts match to four output values from 0 to 3. It means that the output value of first four input values is 0, the output value of second four input values is 1, and so on. Please write down the truth table of the circuit, and the logical expressions of the outputs (do not simplify). Then, please draw the circuit, and run it to check the result.

Any help will be appreciated.. Thanks!!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is Homework Help, not Homework Done For You.

YOU need to show YOUR best attempt to work YOUR homework problem. We can then see what you are doing right and where you are going off the rails and try to get you back on track.

vlucaj

Joined Sep 21, 2015
upload_2015-9-22_1-12-9.png
This would be everything I have along with the given truth table values. Sorry if my work is not on par with what is expected...

vlucaj

Joined Sep 21, 2015
And to Mr. Mod,

I said any help is a appreciated. Meaning even just a push in the right direction. Way to welcome a new member/a new person taking interest in this topic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
View attachment 91898
This would be everything I have along with the given truth table values. Sorry if my work is not on par with what is expected...
Isn't your circuit supposed to have TWO outputs?

It would go a long way to see what you are doing right and wrong if you provided the truth table you came up with. We are not mind readers.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
And to Mr. Mod,

I said any help is a appreciated. Meaning even just a push in the right direction. Way to welcome a new member/a new person taking interest in this topic.
How can we give you a push in the right direction when we don't know where you are starting from. If you are trying to get to Chicago and I think you are starting from Los Angeles but you are really starting from New York, the push I give you will only send you over your head in the ocean.

vlucaj

Joined Sep 21, 2015
This is what I have so far, I know that the circuit posted above is not correct. It would need two outputs. I'm thinking that when I create a circuit it will need 4 AND gates to begin. That's about where I'm at.

In the question where it says, the output value of first four input values is 0, the output value of second four input values is 1, and so on. What does the so on mean?
upload_2015-9-22_21-2-39.png

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
This is what I have so far, I know that the circuit posted above is not correct. It would need two outputs. I'm thinking that when I create a circuit it will need 4 AND gates to begin. That's about where I'm at.

In the question where it says, the output value of first four input values is 0, the output value of second four input values is 1, and so on. What does the so on mean?
View attachment 91943
It means that when you have inputs from 0000 to 0011, the XY are 00 (decimal 0). So your table is wrong, you have XY 01, it should be 00.

For the inputs from 0100 to 0111 the output XY will be 01 (decimal 1).

The next output is XY 10 (decimal 2).

The first four inputs produce decimal 0, next four inputs produce decimal 1, next four inputs produce decimal 2, last four inputs produce decimal 3.
Do you see the logic/system?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since you don't have a complete truth table, it means that you don't understand the problem yet. Consequently, you are no where near the stage to even begin thinking about what you might or might not need to solve a problem you don't yet understand.

So let's work on the "understand the problem" phase. By the way, this is the hardest and most challenging phase of most real-world engineering and many engineers do not devote nearly enough effort to this phase of problem solving.

It states that the two outputs form output values from 0 to 3. That means that your outputs are taken to be a two bit binary number. Similarly, the four inputs are taken to represent a four-bit binary number with values ranging from 0 to 15.