BugMeNot

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I found this the other day and I find it quite useful for sites you seldom access.

I tried the first 3 for AAC, doesn't work, moderators are working too hard.
Found one that said: You have been banned, reason: found on bugmenot.:D

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I found it in a "Big Book of Windows Hacks" I came across once in a Borders bookstore, about three or four years ago. Max, it's basically just a site that gives you a fake email address so you can sign up for things and retrieve information for one-time registration. Very clever, really, but it's no match for our moderators! ;)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I found it in a "Big Book of Windows Hacks" I came across once in a Borders bookstore, about three or four years ago. Max, it's basically just a site that gives you a fake email address so you can sign up for things and retrieve information for one-time registration. Very clever, really, but it's no match for our moderators! ;)
Gotcha, its a work around for the people who don't wanna spend the extra 45 seconds signing up for a gmail or yahoo account. ;)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
Gotcha, its a work around for the people who don't wanna spend the extra 45 seconds signing up for a gmail or yahoo account. ;)
Well, sometimes it's really annoying if you just want a one-time access to a forum just to see an attachment and you need to go through the whole registration form and invent some new email address because you don't want to register with your good address (and receive tons of spam afterwards).

This takes more than 45sec. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well, sometimes it's really annoying if you just want a one-time access to a forum just to see an attachment and you need to go through the whole registration form and invent some new email address because you don't want to register with your good address (and receive tons of spam afterwards).

This takes more than 45sec. :)
Why not just create a junk email to use for all your registrations on the internet. I have my crap alias email I use for stuff I'm gonna get spammed, then I have my legit email I only give to friends and no spammy places.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Why not just create a junk email to use for all your registrations on the internet. I have my crap alias email I use for stuff I'm gonna get spammed, then I have my legit email I only give to friends and no spammy places.
That's what I generally end up doing. I have about half a dozen email addresses, only two or three of which I use for real email.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
These accounts are not welcome here. When we find them, and we check often, they are locked out.

We (ACC) ask for very little, a real email address where we can contact you if there is a problem is not too much to ask. The address is not sold or used for any other purpose.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

This year I have banned 3 bugmenot user accounts.
The people using these accounts are not fair to the people who really made an account over here and take part of the community.

Bertus

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't think it's about fairness. It's about confusing the site owners with false statistics, and the frequent members with multiple personality disorder signs.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't think it's about fairness. It's about confusing the site owners with false statistics, and the frequent members with multiple personality disorder signs.
This is why I feel attachments should be viewable without creating an account. I'm sure we have 1000+ accounts created to download one xxxx.c or xxxx.asm file. Then the name is locked up and we have another ghost user. By allowing people to download attach's without registering would help this sort of thing a lot. But thats just my opinion. The option may not be available or may have to get deep into code to enable it, I don't know.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The only problem is that this site will use its hosting capabilities that can be linked to by anyone/everyone. That takes the servers capabilities and spreads it across not just this site, but any site that requests data from an image hosted here...

There may be legal ramifications for someone using a circuit hosted here and getting maimed. The site's disclaimer may not extend to images without context, but I don't deal in legal, so who knows?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The only problem is that this site will use its hosting capabilities that can be linked to by anyone/everyone. That takes the servers capabilities and spreads it across not just this site, but any site that requests data from an image hosted here...

There may be legal ramifications for someone using a circuit hosted here and getting maimed. The site's disclaimer may not extend to images without context, but I don't deal in legal, so who knows?
I don't think there would be any legal issues. I can just see the judge, "Yah I downloaded plans for a Pulse Cannon from AAC and it blew up when I turned it on. They should pay me money cause I blew myself up. :) lol

But I do see where with them footing the hosting bill with no add or donation support that they would skimp and manage as much bandwidth as possible.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I don't think there would be any legal issues. I can just see the judge, "Yah I downloaded plans for a Pulse Cannon from AAC and it blew up when I turned it on. They should pay me money cause I blew myself up. :) lol
Yeah, but taken out of context, linked from a blog of some whack-job that says his pulse cannon gets pulses of EMP energy pulse without much effort to create extra energy, well, there are bound to be people that believe(what, I don't know) him and try to build it, all without having to see AAC's terms of service...

But I do see where with them footing the hosting bill with no add or donation support that they would skimp and manage as much bandwidth as possible.
I did see a brief swath of ads the other day, while perusing the e-book, but they were only there for a few minutes. Is that signs of things to come?

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Could it be that you were logged off for a short period? I think guests see ads, but it's been years since I was at that position.