Bug when creating a NEW THREAD (getting a blank page)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Dear members,

Currently, there is an occasional known bug in the forum software, where one cannot create a new thread.

When attempting to do so, an error or a blank screen appears and the post is lost.

If that happens to you, try the following, in this order:

1. Create the new thread but reduce the thread title to 11 characters or less. This solves the problem most of the times. The thread title can always be changed by a moderator, so if you couldn't fit your desired title, PM a moderator to change it for you.
  2. Clear your browser cache (if you don't mind).
  3. Try opening the thread in a different subforum and ask a moderator to move it.
  4. Mount your post in this here thread and ask a moderator to move it in a new thread.

If your post count is under 10, you probably won't be able to send PMs. In that case, you can always use the in-forum e-mail service.

Thank you for your understanding,
The moderating team

Last edited:

snowdrifter

Joined Aug 13, 2013
I'm going to be "that one person" who bumps the ancient thread. But I'm having this issue right now. I'll try to post and it comes back with a 500 error. I can reply to threads just fine but can't seem to create a new one regardless of thread title

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The standard approach is this:

Reduce the title to less than 20 characters. If that fails:
Try to create the thread in another subforum and ask for it to be moved. If that fails:
Compose the new post content and use a PM or the internal mail system to send it to a moderator. Then, he will mount the post in a new thread in your behalf.

There is a chance that you will not be able to use the PM service, since your post count is under 10.

Tell us how it worked out.

rbroberts

Joined Aug 26, 2013
Ugh. I've sent several notes over the past 1+ week via "Contact Us" before I finally found this post. Calling the bug "occasional" is interesting since for me it has been 100%. Three different computers (Windows 7, Debian, Fedora) and multiple browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE), from more than one network, over multiple days. My post is finally up (forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=641750). I can't help but note that you mention snowdrifter has fewer than 10 posts and this was my first. Maybe it's not simply occasional but something to do with how new we are or how many posts we've made....

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm sorry that you got into so much trouble. Unfortunately, there is no one around to fix the bug currently. The moderators cannot intervene in the site code.

The post count isn't relevant. I mentioned it in my post with snowdrifter to notify him that it would be the reason he couldn't use the PM service.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It saddens me to say it, but no moderator can provide an answer in the current state of things. This bug has been around for some months now and there is no indication that it will be fixed any time soon. The administrators are simply out of contact.

My apologies.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The bug can only be solved by an administrator.

If you are having real troubles posting a new thread, You can post the starting post here.
A moderator can move the post to a thread.
You can set the title in the titlebar of the post.
please mention the forum where you want to have the thread.

Bertus

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The impression I have is that the owners/administrators have basically stepped back from the forum and, instead of shutting it down, are willing to continuing paying the bills (notice that we don't have ads?) as long as they don't have to be bothered with much.

Again, that's the conclusion I've come to. I could be way wrong.

At some point, that's going to have to change as some issue will come up that simply has to be addressed and is beyond the effort that the admins are willing to put in. At that point they will pretty much have to either take a more active role, shut the sight down, or find someone with the right skills that is willing to take on an active administrator role.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I just want to mention that (while I almost definitely don't have the skills necessary to be an admin) I am willing to do anything I can to help out. Not sure if that's really a possibility, but just wanted to throw that out there. I have some (mind you, only some) experience with HTML, Java, and Javascript, and if I can put that knowledge to use in any way, please let me know. I am eager to give back to this forum that has given me so much.

Regards,
Matt

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
We all do what we can, one of us has a bit more power than the others. If an issue comes up that absolutely requires a administrator we pass it on, and if he has time it is resolved.

The site is not abandoned, but active participation from administrators is rare, while we mods take care of the day to day minutia.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
One thing we must all consider, the owner is running this as a hobby ... as WBahn noted, there are no advertisements.

The other points will include that the owner and more than likely, the administrator have jobs, so the time dedicated to this effort could vary based on their work schedules or class schedules if they are students.

A friend of mine owns and manages a website and even as a retiree, he works 60-80 hours some weeks. Yes there are complaints about some updates people send him, but, once they know the web is a part time endeavor, they understand.

We are lucky here to have a good set of peace keepers (moderators). They volunteer their time as well.

David Pate

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Yes, I even did that. No different result.

Geez, it finally worked; in the forum I wanted, and instantly without waiting for a moderator.

Last edited:

Edasher06

Joined Mar 4, 2013
Yikes! That bug is crazy! I FINALLY got mine to go thru. Mine was definately 100% of the time. Tried on different pc's, different browsers, on my phone. NOTHING! Key is keep changing options on the page until it finally allows it. Don't know what finally did it, but in the end my title was backed down to 3 letters, took off the jpeg image, threw it under the "suggestions and feedback" just to try something different, and said YES to the poll. After it finally posted i was able to hop right back in and edit with no problems.

Oh yeah, and I was NOT able to post it under another forum, and was NOT able to PM a moderator, even though I am allowed to PM. I'd create the message and send, then nothing.