Buck Boost: no proper ground reference

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by anhnha, Jan 1, 2016.

1. anhnha

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Here are two buck boost converter topologies with no proper ground reference.
    Please explain what is the problem with it?
    http://i.imgur.com/7mosAbt.png

[​IMG]

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    I see nothing wrong with it except a ground reference is not shown, but that has no effect on the circuit operation.
    I would not say it is "Improperly Referenced...", just that it has no ground reference.

cabraham and Roderick Young like this.
  3. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    I think it is meant to say that there is no common ground between input and output. When switch is ON both input and output shares the common ground. However, as switch is OFF no common ground exists.
    The author says that these topologies are unacceptable. That is what I am confused.

4. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    The only problem with this topologies is the lack of a command reference point between output and input.

5. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    Yes, I see. However, what is the problem caused by no common ground? How does it affect the circuit operation?

6. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    This circuit will work only if you have a floating input source. So, now instead of 3-terminal circuit, you have 4-terminal device.

cabraham likes this.
  7. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    Actually when analyzing the operation of these topologies I don't see any problem with them.
    Could you give an example where it doesn't work?

8. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    But this circuit will work.

9. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    So what is the problem caused by no common ground? I see that there is no common ground in these topologies but don't understand why it is source of problems.

10. Jony130

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 17, 2009
    Now we have a 4-terminal device instead of the usual 3-terminal, input source cannot have any low impedance connection between Vin and Vout.
    Have you seen any single- supply circuit without common ground between Vin and Vout?

11. anhnha

Apr 19, 2012
    Could you explain about low impedance connection? What is it?
    I don't remember but maybe those above are the first ones.

12. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    First, let's take a moment to savor the Buckeye's victory over Noter Doter...

OK, back to you... The *potential* problem exists only within the context of the application. If the overall system requires that the regulator input and output reference potentials be identical, that's a problem. If no such requirement exists, then no problem exists either. There is no such thing as one grand universal power supply circuit/system/solution. Supplies always exist in the context of their source and load. To proclaim that one supply technique is good and another is bad without any context or qualifiers is anti-instructional, arbitrary and sloppy.

And another thing - "proper" ground reference - ??? Let me counter that stupid proclamation with this: Whoever wrote that does not understand what a circuit ground is, "proper" or otherwise. Again, no context = no brains.

ak