Bs170

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Note the BS170 is a MOSFET, not a simply a transistor in the classic use of the term.

In the quick Googling I did, Allen is right, a 2N7000 should work fine, but note the leads are in different locations. Should still be able to use by flipping the 2N7000 in the opposite direction if using a TO-92 package, but check the datasheets first.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
The classic use of the term is irrelevant. A transistor is a transistor, a BJT is a transistor, as is a MOSFET, that's why it's in their names.
I just wanted to clarify for the OP the part inquired about is a MOSFET. I have found we often refer to BJTs on AAC as simply transistors and call out MOSFETs. While true both BJTs and MOSFETs are transistors, each operate differently.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I just wanted to clarify for the OP the part inquired about is a MOSFET. I have found we often refer to BJTs on AAC as simply transistors and call out MOSFETs. While true both BJTs and MOSFETs are transistors, each operate differently.
That is why they need to be explicitly stated.

Saying transistor instead of BJT is plain lazy and makes for a confusing conversation. A new member will not know that distinction and may become more confused. As this is a site for learning and disseminating information, I think it pertinent to be explicit whenever possible.

The fact is that 'transistor' is a general term and should not be used to describe a specific device.

I don't say I want fruit juice, I say I want me some orange juice.

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Saying transistor instead of BJT is plain lazy and makes for a confusing conversation. A new member will not know that distinction and may become more confused. As this is a site for learning and disseminating information, I think it pertinent to be explicit whenever possible.
You are correct on all points. I couldn't recall the correct term for the commonly used transistor until you mentioned it (BJT). I've just seen the BJT transistor more often than not referred to simply as transistor on AAC. I will be sure for my part to make this distinction in the future. ;)