broken turntable motor bldc

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ZACKptvTHUGGIN, Oct 21, 2015.

1. ZACKptvTHUGGIN

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey guys and gals :) recently bought a turntable off of craigslist for cheap beacause the motor in it was cogging and it gave off a burning smell (not my brightest idea). I've done some stuff with pc boards and stuff but nothing with a motor, long story short, i broke the motor completely and now it wont even spin. I did some research and it's a brushless dc motor but i don't know what i did wrong. And i can't find the model of the motor to get a replacement. Does anyone know how to fix this? The turntable is an audio technica LP120 usb if that helps. image.jpg image.jpg

2. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Nope. But I'll confirm your diagnosis, it's broken. I'll also make a prediction. It's going to stay that way.

3. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    It might be worth a try to ohm out the coils to see if one is open or a driver shorted.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
    ZACKptvTHUGGIN likes this.
  4. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    I also see what look like Hall effect sensors -- three of them, HE100, HE101 and HE102. There might be three more sensors on the other side of the PCB...

Look closely at the PCB for a manufacture's name and model number. I doubt that you will find a replacement from other than Audio Technica.

ZACKptvTHUGGIN likes this.
  5. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    You only require 3 Hall effect switches for BLDC motor commutation.
    Max.

ZACKptvTHUGGIN and RichardO like this.