Broken CD Player

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Chz, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Chz

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 18, 2014
    I need help!!!

My table top stereo unit's CD player will not open. It is a Sony Mini HI-FI Component System, Model MHC-GX470.

I love it and don't want to replace it. I love the speakers and the woofer. It is too heavy for me to take in for repairs as I'm a little old lady, LOL. I don't have anyone who would take it in for me. So, my next best idea is to get a CD player and hook it up to my unit. It will play thru my speakers, won't it??? My question is: which brand of CD player would be suitable for me? And, what would I need to hook it up?

Also, if anyone has an idea as to how I could get my CD thingie to open, I'd appreciate it. It has two CD's in there that I want to get out.

Thanks!

2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    You have Audio In jack on the front. I assume it takes 3.5mm audio plug.

If you use external cd player that has RCA outputs, just buy a y cable, two RCA plugs on one end and 3.5mm plug on the other. I have used it to hook up my computer/ipod to stereo and mini stereo.
    [​IMG]

If external cd player has just 3.5mm jack, like I have old sony walkman cd player, it has 3.5mm jack for headphone/car tape adapter, then just buy a cable that has 3.5mm plugs on both ends. One end goes into your mini stereo, the other end goes into external cd player.
    [​IMG]

And read Page 14, Using optional audio
    components: https://docs.sony.com/release/MHCGX470.pdf

3. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Yes, you can get another. From the specs for your player it has audio input jacks. They are probably in the back and labeled audio in.
    I would just go to Best Buy (they can be helpful) to find one. Tell them your problem and look at the component CD players and pick one with the features and price you like.
    You will probably need to take it apart to clear the jam. Maybe someone has one and can tell us how hard that is to do.

4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    look for a small round hole , some have a hole you push in a streightned out paperclip to release the mechanim.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You may not care to hear this, but another option is an MP3 player, like an iPod or the many similar options. Like a CD player, it can be patched in to your existing equipment. They are very inexpensive and there are reasons they are so popular - they are rugged, portable, reliable and easy to use.

To get the tray open, or at least the CDs out, don't be afraid to use a screwdriver. (Cord unplugged, of course). The outer case is usually not so hard to remove. With it off, you may have immediate access to the tray contents. And you might be able to find why the tray is jammed. Just go slow, keep the screws organized, take pictures if/when you think you might forget where they go. Don't be intimidated to try.

6. Chz

Aug 18, 2014
    No, I've looked and looked. No hole.

7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Yeah, the manual did not show/mention the manual way to open tray so I sort of assumed that you don't have the hole.

Every computer cd/dvd drive I ever seen/used had the hole, so it might be computer industry standard, not consumer audio industry standard.

8. Chz

Aug 18, 2014
    But I have a ton of CD's I want to play!

9. Chz

Aug 18, 2014
    I've gone through that manual a million times. It only has a Audio In jack, in the front.
    Ok........I understand what I need but won't the external CD player that I buy, have an electrical cord with it? What do I do with that? Sorry, if this is a stupid question but I get stupid with stuff like this. LOL

10. Chz

Aug 18, 2014
    But I have a zillion CD's that I want to hear!
    The side panel has screws.........do I dare?????????????

11. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Plug it into wall outlet.

12. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    Convert them into files. iTunes does it. M$ Media Player does it. Get a used mp3 player from a friend or relative, or buy one at a pawn shop for 20-60 dollars. I still run into older ipods that had hard drives, one of those that had 160 GB drive would probably hold your whole cd collection.

I did cd to mp3 conversions using Exact Audio Copy (EAC). I don't know if it is still around. At the time it was free. It is what most people used who wanted cd to mp3 conversions that were better than generic iTunes/Media Player conversions.

Once you convert CDs to MP3s, move the files to the mp3 player. You are set for a long long long time.

Or you can keep them on a computer/laptop. Just run the cable from computer Sound/Audio Out to hi fi mini stereo Audio In.

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    For what it's worth, the modern codec replacing mp3 is AAC (advanced audio codec), and the stuff at iTunes is at a higher bit rate now as well. Compromising quality to save space is not a concern for the majority of users.

If you are comfortable using a computer and you have one with a CD drive, converting your library to digital would be a very good option. As noted, iTunes is free and will do the job nicely, even attaching the proper album art to the imported music. Ask around, you may even have friends with an extra iPod laying around that you could experiment with, or even keep. You won't regret moving away from CDs.