Bridge rectifier

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A frequency generator IS an AC source, but it has a bit higher impedance than a small power transformer.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
Would this setup work for a bridge rectifier? AC goes to 9 O'clock and 3 O'clock (wave generator with sine wave) and DC should be on 12 O'clock and 6 O'clock reading with my oscilloscope?

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
Looks OK to me with one caveat if you are using a function generator for the AC input. If the function generator output common lead is earthed and the CRO common lead is also earthed then one of the diodes would be shorted. Check whether the function generator output is floating or not.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Valuable lesson here. The oscilloscope can cause major disasters with a signal generator! When you attach the cable for external sweep, the scope and signal generator share a ground that is incompatible with rectifiers. You must remove the sweep cable and make sure the two do not share a case ground through the third prong of the power cord or by touching each other mechanically.

electronewb

Joined Apr 24, 2012
What do you mean by major disaster? Would lifting the ground on the signal generator help? That might be why I was getting some really funky readings

Joined Nov 30, 2010
By major disaster, I mean exactly what T N K said in post #4. If both pieces of equipment have a case ground through the third prong of the power cord, the 'scope will short out some of your projects.

Later, if you try to measure power line voltages or wave forms, the earth connection on the 'scope wil pop the circuit breaker if you connect it to the power side of the line.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Been there, done it. Ground loops are a pain.

Also, be aware that your source signal will suffer two diode voltage drops, ~1.4 volts. If the signal is not larger than this, you won't see it.