Bridge rectifier overheating

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
Ok, could you explain how these capacitors are connected? It appears to me that all leads of all caps are soldered together in one mass. Are my eyes seeing correctly?
They are not.Solder blob below is GND and above one is VCC but still this is very bad way to solder them because they could short fairly easy.

Gabriell

Joined Jan 16, 2016
The boost converter im using is 600w dc-dc converter i got from ebay. The capacitors 50v 2200uF
Each led is rated 32v 3A
Im using them in series with 60v and 2-2.5A
I do not use resistors as i think the converter supplies constant voltage and current.
Just did some tests and the two boost converters pull about 10amps altogether from the power source.
The rectifier is sitting on a heatsink.
It gets very hot after 2-3min with all leds attached.
If i only use one converter to power up two leds the temperature of the rectifier is a lot lower.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Now the only thing is my original issue! That bloody rectifier gets really hot even on the heatsink
Are you sure about the bridge rectifiers ratting? Not saying they don't make a PCB style bridge, just never seen one made like that for that high of amperage. Usually when they are made for high amperage they are in a metal case with a screw hole in the center. To get the heat into the heat sink better. Just the first link I found - http://www.amazon.com/Single-Phase-Bridge-Rectifier-KBPC5010/dp/B008DEU18G

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The given RS2006M bridge is rated for 20 Amps average with an infinite heatsink.
At higher temperatures the Amps rating will go down soon.
See the attached datasheet for more info.

Bertus

Attachments

windadct

Joined Feb 25, 2013
As a basic rule of thumb, expect at least 3+ watt of heat in the rectifier for every amp in the load(more in these smaller units - I work with larger ones) . This is due to there being 2 diodes (@ 1.2 to 1,3 V drop plus terminal resistance) in the current path at all times in a full bridge. So with 5 A total load you have 15W+ of heat in the rectifier - YES this is enough to overheat the rectifier bridge with no heatsink - YOU NEED to bolt the rectifier to a piece of metal to get the heat out. The DS for that module is lousy, there also needs to be a series resistance value, nothing - and no notes about the cooling for the current rating, only that to get the 50A you need to maintain a case temp of 55C - I just went through this with a customer and showed them that this current rating will never be realized in a real application - maybe with a Heatsink and a fan.

Looking at a similar module the module will only do about 1/10th of the current with no heat sink...